Interlibrary Loan Services (ILL)
:: Make a Request :: Loan Periods :: Fines/Overdue Items
:: ILL Delivery :: Items Available :: Copyright Compliance
:: How to Use ILL :: Who may use ILL :: Special Conditions
:: Returning Items :: Renew Items :: Contact ILL
The City College Library provides interlibrary loan (ILL) services
for City College faculty, students and staff in good Library standing.
ILL is used to obtain materials NOT OWNED by CUNY for purposes relating to:
- Academic studies. (Textbooks may not be requested)
Our interlibrary loan policies are based on the National Interlibrary Loan Code
for the United States, 2001, and state and regional interlibrary loan codes.
WHO MAY USE CITY COLLEGE ILL?
HOW TO USE ILL:
- ONLY City College faculty, students or staff in good Library standing may use ILL.
- ONLY City College faculty, students or staff with a valid CITY COLLEGE ID may use ILL
(Note: Anyone with a pattern of overdue/lost ILL items may not use ILL services) top
To Request Books
To Request Articles
- Use WorldCat to find books, theses, and media in Libraries worldwide. Use ILL to request materials unavailable via CUNY+/CLICS.
- In WorldCat City College of New York indicates that CCNY has a copy of an item
- In WorldCat CUNY indicates that a copy is available from another CUNY library. Request through CUNY+/CLICS
- Use from WorldCat to request an item from a non-CUNY Library through interlibrary loan (ILL)
- Include ISBN for fastest ILL delivery
- From any database, use for online, print, and ILL options
- Use the journal search to find out if a journal is available at CCNY. If volume and issue needed is available, do not request article via ILL
- If a journal is unavailable at CCNY, request article via ILL
- If a CCNY journal is missing, request via ILL with note
- Request book chapters or sections via ILL
- Articles and book chapters are delivered in PDF format
ITEMS THAT MAY NOT BE REQUESTED VIA ILL:
- Books owned by CUNY. Please request this material through CLICS in the CUNY+ online catalog.
- Articles available from City College's electronic database
- Reference books
- Mass-market books easily and cheaply obtainable from local bookstores
- Entire volumes or entire issues of periodicals
- Newspapers (unless they are on microfilm)
- You may submit only 15 ILL requests per week.
DELIVERY OF ITEMS
- All items are to be picked up at the Cohen Library Circulation Desk.
- Articles will be delivered electronically whenever possible. top
LOAN PERIODS FOR ILL ITEMS
- On average loan periods are 2 to 4 weeks.
- The Library from which City College Library borrowed the item decides the due date.
- Loan periods for ILL items MUST be respected and followed.
DO NOT RETURN ILL ITEMS LATE
REQUESTING TO RENEW ILL ITEMS
- It is YOUR responsibility to return your ILL items by their due date.
- If you would like to try and renew your ILL items you MUST do so PRIOR to their due date.
- The Library from which City College Library borrowed the item decides if it may be renewed. top
FINES FOR OVERDUE ILL ITEMS
ILL services depend upon the good will and reciprocity of other libraries.
Failure to return items on time jeopardizes our reciprocal relationship with the
libraries that lend to us. Return ILL books on time.
- Overdue fine is $1.00 per day for each day ILL item overdue.
- Anyone with overdue ILL items will be blocked from borrowing from all CUNY Libraries.
- Anyone with a pattern of overdue/lost ILL items will be blocked from using CCNY ILL services.
- The fine for ILL material not picked up is $5.00, should the item expire on the shelf. Please check your email regularly if you have requested material. top
SPECIAL CONDITIONS FOR ILL USE
- The lending library also sets the conditions under which an item may be used.
- Libraries can restrict the use of their materials to on-site use within the library only.
- Photocopying of materials may be prohibited.
- If you have questions about the restricted use of materials contact the ILL Office.
RETURNING ILL ITEMS
You are responsible for the safe return of ILL items you take out.
- ALL ILL items need to be returned to the Cohen Library Circulation Desk.
- All items must be returned to a clerk at the Cohen Library Circulation desk
- Do not place ILL items in the book drop outside or inside the Library.
- Do not leave ILL items on counter tops.
- Do not return ILL items to a reference/information desk.
- Do not return ILL items directly to the lending library.
According to Title 17 of the U.S. Code (Copyright), the library that sends out a photocopy is responsible for placing a copyright compliance statement on the material. This statement normally says: "NOTICE: THIS MATERIAL MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT LAW (TITLE 17 U.S. CODE)."
The borrowing library is responsible for insuring compliance with copyright law for items it borrows. If in the judgment of the Library a request would be a violation of copyright
law, the Library will refuse the request and discuss options with the borrower. top
Interlibrary Loan Assistant