The following are all required prior to acceptance to the internship placement:
- Completed application form online
- Cover letter
- Two letters of recommendation provided by two of the following:
a) a deaf consumer,
b) interpreter Education Program professor,
c) a previous mentor,
d) a past employer in an interpreting related field,
e) a colleague in the interpreting field.
- Assessment of your skills.
• If you are a local intern, you will be asked to come into the Office of Disability Services for an interview and skills assessment.
This video will not be required.
• If you are not in the local area, submit video sample of your work. See directions for video segment below.
- Interview (scheduled after applicant's materials are received)
Directions for the video segment:
- Signed introduction of self (approximately 5 minutes) explaining your name, background, reasoning for applying for this internship, your goals in the field of interpreting, and a fun comment.
The next examples of work provided are unrehearsed.
- Spoken English to ASL (Interpret) 10 minutes
- ASL to Spoken English (Interpret) 10 minutes
- Spoken English to ASL (Transliterate) 10 minutes
- ASL to Spoken English (Transliterate) 10 minutes