Participating in an International Internship gives you the opportunity to gain professional experience in the career field of your choice. WOU works with several outstanding internship providers who offer internships in many career areas.
IE3 Global Internships
Cooperative Center for Study Abroad Internships
Internships vary in length from 6 weeks to 6 months. You earn academic credit for your participation, and you work with a WOU professor who assigns your discipline specific internship requirements and who evaluates your internship portfolio. Typically, 30 hours of work equals 1 quarter credit. A 12 credit internship would require 360 hours of work. In addition to the actual work performed, you'll complete the WOU internship requirements in addition to any requirements the internship provider may have. Together, you and your WOU professor will complete the Internship Academic Credit Agreement Form that is part of the application process. The agreement outlines exactly what you need to do to earn your internship credit.
- Choose your internship.
- Begin the WOU application process.
- Once you are WOU approved, proceed to the internship provider application.
- Meet with the Office of Study Abroad and International Exchanges to identify a WOU faculty member who is willing to serve as your on-campus supervisor and the person who will evaluate your internship portfolio.
- When your WOU application and internship application are complete, schedule a meeting with the Office of Study Abroad and International Exchanges to discuss next steps.
The minimum qualifications are listed below. Some programs and internships have higher eligibility criteria or program specific requirements.
- at least a junior (outstanding sophomores may be considered for some internships)
- good academic standing
- minimum of 2.75 GPA (Some internships require a 3.0 GPA.)
- meet the language requirement for the internship, if any
- meet any other WOU internship specific requirements
Examples of internship career areas
- Computer Science and Information
- Criminal Justice
- Film and theater
- International relations
- Museums and galleries
- Non-profit organizations
- Recreation, Leisure, and Hospitality
- Social Service
- Sports Management
Benefits of an international internship
- Gain relevant professional experience.
- Apply your coursework to real-life challenges.
- Learn from practicing professionals.
- Strengthen foreign language and cross-cultural skills.
- Explore and pursue new international opportunities.
- Earn academic credit.