WOU: Veteran benefits

Page Content   Main Links   Utility Links   Quick Links   Footer

University Registrar

veterans information Veterans on campus

How to best understand and provide assistance to veterans seeking a higher education

Veterans' Educational Benefits

Chapter 33 | Chapter 30 | Chapter 1606 | Chapter 1607 | Chapter 31 | Chapter 35 | Forms

Getting Started

All students receiving Veterans' benefits at WOU must be admitted to the University. If you have not already done so please start by applying to the school or contact Admissions if you have questions regarding the admissions process.

In order to receive Veterans' Educational Benefits you must be approved by Veterans' Administration. If you have not already done so please complete the on-line application for Veterans' Educational Benefits. Once you recieve approval from the VA to recieve Veterans' Educational Benefits please bring or send the approval letter to the Veterans' Clerk.

After applying to WOU and the VA there are a few forms the Veterans' Clerk needs to have on file in order to process your benefits each term. Please check the table below or your specific chapter's page and fill out the forms appropriate for you.

If you are not sure what degree program you wish to pursue we recommend you contact Academic Advising regarding the various options at WOU. Until you declare your degree program you can only receive Veterans' benefits for classes that meet requirements for all programs (such as our Liberal Arts Core Curriculum; LACC requirements).

Only courses that are necessary for the students' degree program as indicated on the students Degree Evaluation will be reported to the VA. If you have questions regarding how to check your Degree Evaluation, please see Degree Evaluation Instructions.

Note that to continue receiving Veteran benefits that you must submit a Request for Certification each term to give us permission to use your Veteran benefits and to allow us to report information about your classes for that term to Veterans' Administration.

back to top

Which Chapter is for You?

Chapter 30: Montgomery G.I. Bill - active duty

Educational Program for Veterans who served a minimum of two years of active duty.

Chapter 33: Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008

Educational Program for Veterans who served a minimum of 90 aggregate days (or 30 continuous days and discharged due to service-connected disability) of active duty on or after September 11, 2001.

Chapter 1606: Montgomery G.I. Bill - Selected Reserve

Educational program for active members of the Selected Reserve: Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, Air National Guard.

Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

Educational program for members of the Selective Reserve serving 90 consecutive days on active duty in response to a contingency operation declared by the President or Congress.

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment

Return to work program for Veterans with disabilities.

Chapter 35: Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA)

Educational program for dependents (spouse or children) of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or died in the service or died due to a service-connected disability or who is listed as a POW or MIA.

back to top


Chapter 33 Chapter 30 Chapter 1606 Chapter 1607 Chapter 31 Chapter 35
On-line application  
Paper application   Paper application
Changing schools or programs   Changing schools or programs
Enrollment Notification
Requirements for VA Benefits at WOU Requirements for VA Benefits at WOU
        Release Information  
          Tuition Waiver Eligibility
Direct Deposit  
Certification Request
  Verify enrollment on W.A.V.E.    

For special instructions regarding forms please see the form instructions for your chapter.

back to top

Helpful Links for Veterans


eBenefits Informational Video

Educational Resources for Veterans and Families

Financial Aid Information

Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs (ODVA)

Oregon Partnership 888-HLP-4-VETS

Reintegration Program

Salem Vet Center directions

Scholarship Program for The Military order of the Purple Heart

Scholarship for Military Personnel

Scholarship Programs of Fisher House Foundation

Scholarships from CCME


U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs


back to top

Contact Information for Veterans' Educational Benefits:

WOU Veterans' Representative

Registrar's Office

Western Oregon University

345 N. Monmouth Ave.

Monmouth, OR 97361

ph: (503) 838-8183; fax: (503) 838-9696

e-mail: veterans@wou.edu

Veterans' Affairs

1-888-GIBILL1 or 1-888-442-4551


back to top


University Registrar ph: (503) 838-8327; fax: (503) 838-9696 | or e-mail: registrar@wou.edu

Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.