WOU: Veteran benefits chapter 33

Page Content   Main Links   Utility Links   Quick Links   Footer

University Registrar

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 G.I. Bill

Back to main page | Entitlement | Benefits | Yellow Ribbon | Forms | Resources | Yellow Ribbon Video

Includes veterans who served a minimum of 90 aggregate days (or 30 continuous days and discharged due to service-connected disability) of active duty service on or after September 11, 2001. Active duty time includes full-time, other than active duty for training, in a regular component of the Armed Forces. Call or order to active duty in a reserve component of the Armed Forces. Active duty does not included: AGR under Title 32, Service Academy Contract, period under ROTC 10 U.S.C 2107(b), or service used for purpose of loan repayment. Eligibility is retained if active duty is continued, honorably discharged, discharged for condition that interfered with duty (CIWD), discharged for disability that existed prior to service (EPTS), or discharged for hardship (HDSP).

Effective August 1, 2009 but not payable until October 1, 2011, the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill will be expanded to include Active Service performed by National Guard members under title 32 U.S.C. for the purpose of organizing, administering, recruiting, instructing, or training the National Guard; or under section 502(f) for the purpose of responding to a national emergency.


  • Generally 36 months of benefits under chapter 33.
  • Limited to 48 months of combined benefits under multiple educational assistance programs administered by Veterans' Administration.
  • If relinquishing chapter 30 the amount of entitlement granted under chapter 33 will be limited to the length of the remaining chapter 30 benefits unless chapter 30 entitlement is exhausted prior to electing chapter 33. If chapter 30 benefits are exhausted, then the limit of 48 months of combined benefits under multiple educational assistance programs administered by Veterans' Administration applies.
  • Transfer of benefits to chapter 33 from another educational program (such as chapter 30, chapter 1606, and chapter 1607) is irrevocable. The relinquished chapter may not be returned to at a later date. Chapter 31 is not an educational program and will not be relinquished by electing chapter 33.
  • Delimiting date: 15 years from last qualifying period of active duty.
  • Percentages for benefits are based on total service after 09/10/2001.
    Active duty after 09/10/2001 Percentage of maximum benefit
    At least 36 months 100
    At least 30 continuous days and discharged due to service-connected disability 100
    At least 30 months < 36 months 90
    At least 24 months < 30 months 80
    At least 18 months < 24 months * 70
    At least 12 months < 18 months * 60
    At least 6 months < 12 months * 50
    At least 90 days < 6 months * 40

    *excludes entry level and skill training; those eligible under both the 70% and 80% rating will be paid at 70%.

back to top


  • Percentage of tuition and fees charged
    • Payment is sent directly to the school about 30 days from certification.
    • Effective August 1, 2011, there is no maximum for public school in-state (resident) tuition and fees.
      • Private and foreign school costs are capped at $17,500 annually.
      • The Yellow Ribbon Program still exists for out-of-state (non-resident or WUE) fees and costs above the cap.
        • Not available for Active Duty Members and their spouses as their tuition and fees are paid in full.
        • Not available for Fry Scholarship participants (children of active duty service members who died on active duty since 09/11/01).
    • Effective March 5, 2011, active duty members pursuing a degree at more than half-time are limited to net cost for tuition and fees prorated based on the eligibility tiers (40% - 100%) previously established for Veterans.
      • The same limitations apply to transferee spouses of active duty service members.
  • Percentage of monthly base allowance for housing (BAH)
    • Rate of pursuit must be greater than 50% to receive the BAH. In other words, the number of credits the student is enrolled in divided by the minimum number of credits to be a full time student must be greater than 0.50. At WOU undergraduates must be taking a minimum of 7 credits per term and graduate students must be taking a minimum of 5 credits per term to receive the BAH.
    • Effective August 1, 2011, BAH will be prorated by the student's rate of pursuit (rounded to the nearest tenth).
    • Through September 30, 2011, a minimum of one in residence course must be taken to be eligible to receive the BAH. If all courses are on-line or distance learning courses the BAH will not be paid.
    • Effective October 1, 2011, BAH is payable to students (other than those on active duty) enrolled solely in distance learning. The housing allowance payable is equal to 1/2 the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents. For 2011 this comes to $673.50 at the 100% eligibility tier.
    • Current active duty members receive housing as part of their income and an additional BAH will not be paid from chapter 33 benefits.
    • All BAH stipends for chapter 33 are based on the rate for an E-5 with dependents.
    • BAH is based on the zip code of the primary school or in cases where all courses at the primary school are distance courses the BAH would be based on the zip code of the school where in residence courses are being taken. The zip code at WOU is 97361.
    • Effective August 1, 2011, break or interval pay is no longer payable under any VA education benefit program unless under an Executive Order of the President or due to an emergency, such as a natural disaster or strike. Entitlement that previously would have been used for break pay will be available for use during future enrollment periods.
  • Percentage of stipend for books and supplies
    • Maximum allowance is $1,000 per year paid out at $41.67 per credit for the first 24 credits during the academic year: Aug 1st to July 31st.
    • Full time undergraduate students at WOU will exhaust this benefit during the first two terms of attendance leaving nothing for the third term.
    • Through September 30, 2011, current active duty members are not eligible to receive this benefit.
    • Effective October 1, 2011, students on active duty may receive the books and supplies stipend.
  • Chapter 30 / 1606 kicker
    • Effective August 1, 2011, the VA will pay MGIB (chapter 30) and MGIB-SR (chapter 1606) kickers (or college fund payments) on a monthly basis instead of a lump sum at the beginning of the term.
    • Students eligible for a chapter 33 kicker receive the kicker only if they are entitled to a monthly housing allowance and the kicker will be paid with the monthly housing allowance.
    • The chapter 30 and 1607 additional contribution ($600 Buy-up) is not payable under chapter 33.
  • Refund of chapter 30 contributions
    • Those eligible for category I under chapter 30 who exhaust their chapter 33 entitlement and are receiving a monthly housing allowance will receive a proportional refund of the $1,200 contribution.
    • The refund is included in their last monthly housing allowance payment.
  • Tutorial assistance
    • $100 per month maximum not to exceed $1,200 in total.
    • No entitlement charge.
    • More information.
  • Test cost reimbursement
    • Through July 31, 2011, one time payment for one "license or certification" test, not to exceed the lesser of cost of test or $2,000.
    • Effective August 1, 2011, allows reimbursement for more than one "license or certification" test, however, entitlement is now charged.
    • Effective August 1, 2011, allows reimbursement of fees paid to take national exams used for admission to an institution of higher learning (e.g., SAT, ACT, GMAT, LSAT).
    • The test must be approved for VA benefits; more information on how to obtain benefits for tests.
  • Rural benefit
    • One time payment of $500.
    • Must reside in a county with less than 7 persons per square mile and either
      • Physically relocate at least 500 miles to use the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill; or
      • Travel by air to physically attend an institution of higher learning under the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill if no land-based method of transportation is available due to an absence of infrastructure.
    • Application and more information for rural benefit.
  • Yellow Ribbon Program
    • Individual must be at the 100% rating based on active duty service performed after 09/10/2001.
    • As of August 1, 2011, the VA covers tuition and fees at the resident tuition rate for public schools, so only students classified as nonresidents qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program (all residents already have their tuition and fees fully covered by the VA).
      • Not available for Active Duty Members and their spouses as their tuition and fees are paid in full.
      • Not available for spouses of Active Duty personnel using Transferred Entitlement.
      • Not available for Fry Scholarship participants (children of active duty service members who died on active duty since 09/11/01).
    • WOU Students must maintain satisfactory progress, conduct, and attendance according to the school's regular standards. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements may be viewed online for undergraduate students and for graduate students.
    • At WOU contributions are provided on a first come, first serve basis.
    • WOU will provide a maximum contribution of $500 per student per year.
    • WOU students wishing to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program must apply for financial aid as the school's contribution to the Yellow Ribbon Program is granted through the Financial Aid Office.
    • Yellow ribbon contributions cannot be applied retroactively and eligible students must complete their application before the end of the term.
    • Complete listing of schools participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
  • Transfer of entitlement
    • Department of Defense (DoD) determines eligibility. Currently if a member of the Armed Forces (active duty or Selected Reserve) serves six years and reenlists for four more years or has at least 10 years of service, then transfer of entitlement (ToE) is possible to the spouse. Once the member has reached their 10 year anniversary they may choose to transfer the benefit to any dependent(s) (spouse, or children). DoD may, by regulation, impose additional eligibility requirements and limit the number of months transferable to not less than 18 months.
    • More information regarding eligibility and application for transfer of entitlement.

back to top


Application for VA Benefits: on-line or Adobe PDF.

  • Applying on-line can assist in fewer data entry errors and speed up the process.
  • The application requires that individuals currently eligible for benefits under the Montgomery G.I. Bill chapter 30, MGIB—Selected Reserve chapter 1606, or Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) chapter 1607, make an irrevocable election from their existing program to Post-9/11 G.I. Bill.
  • For individuals eligible for MGIB chapter 30: Please be advised that your entitlement to the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill will be equal to the number of months you have remaining under MGIB chapter 30. However, if you exhaust all of your MGIB chapter 30 entitlement, then you may be entitled to a maximum of 12 additional months of entitlement under the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill.
  • For individuals eligible for MGIB—SR chapter 1606 and/or REAP chapter 1607: Typically, individuals who are eligible for more than one benefit may use a combined total of 48 months of entitlement. For example: If you have used 20 months under REAP, you may be eligible for 28 months of entitlement under the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill.
  • Once your application has been processed, you will receive a letter explaining VA’s decision regarding your eligibility for the program.

Application for VA Benefits under transfer of entitlement : on-line or Adobe PDF.

  • Complete this application if chapter 33 benefits are being transferred to you from another person.
  • Before completing this application the Department of Defense (DoD) must have approved the transfer of entitlement. For more information or to complete the application to have benefits transferred click here.
  • Applying on-line can assist in fewer data entry errors and speed up the process.
  • Once your application has been processed, you will receive a letter explaining VA’s decision regarding your eligibility for the program.

Change of Place of Training or Program: Adobe PDF.

  • Complete if you have already been approved to receive VA benefits and you wish to change schools.
  • Also students who change programs and current course work will not apply to the new program need to complete this form.
  • This form does not need to be submitted to the VA but can be kept on file at the school.

Enrollment Notification: MS Word or Adobe PDF.

  • Used to inform the Certifying Official at WOU regarding your educational program and your contact information.
  • You may only receive Veterans' Benefits for courses that are required for your program.
  • We will use the contact information you provide to contact you in the event that courses you request certification for do not appear to be required, there are changes in Veterans' Benefits we feel will affect you, or for questions regarding your educational program.
  • The address you provide will be the one we provide to the VA every time we notify them of your enrollment.

Requirements for VA Benefits at WOU: MS Word or Adobe PDF.

  • People have various notions of their responsibilities while receiving VA Benefits. We want to ensure everyone understand what is required of them so that all benefits can be processed and paid in a timely manor.

Certification Request: MS Word or Adobe PDF.

  • Please submit this form to the Veterans' Clerk every term to request that we notify the VA of your enrollment directly after you register for classes.
  • This form is also used to give you a chance to tell us how each class is necessary for your degree program or any special information regarding your classes (such as classes taken at a different school, and classes with special course dates).
  • Your enrollment will not be sent to the VA until this form is received and any discrepancies are resolved.

Direct Deposit: Adobe PDF.

  • Complete if you wish to request a change to your direct deposit information.
  • This form is not necessary for a new applicant as it is included in the application.

back to top

Additional Resources for Chapter 33 Recipients

Benefit Comparison

Benefit Compairson Tool

Benefit Factors to Consider


Licensing & Certification - National Tests

Fry Scholarship

Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs (ODVA)

Post 9/11 GI Bill Pamplet

Post 9/11 GI Bill Transferability (TEB)

Post 9/11 GI Bill Transferbility (TEB) FAQ

Post 9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon

Post 9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Pamplet

Post 9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon FAQ

Raytheon-SVA Scholarship

Reintegration Program

Salem Vet Center directions

Study Abroad

Transcripts - JST

Troops to Teachers

Tuition Assistance - GoArmyEd

Tuition Assistance - National Guard

Tutorial Assistance

VFW Scholarship

back to top

Contact Information for Veterans' Educational Benefits

WOU Veterans' Representative

Registrar's Office

Western Oregon University

345 N. Monmouth Ave.

Monmouth, OR 97361

ph: (503) 838-8183; fax: (503) 838-9696

e-mail: veterans@wou.edu

Veterans' Affairs

1-888-GIBILL1 or 1-888-442-4551



University Registrar ph: (503) 838-8327; fax: (503) 838-9696 | or e-mail: registrar@wou.edu

Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.