CONSTRUCTION DATES: West House was constructed in 1924 over the frame of a pre-existing house.
REMODEL: A 1936 remodel converted West House into a men’s dormitory, the first on the campus.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: Walter Barnum and Walter Sellers of Salem were the lead contractors on the construction of what is today West House.
COSTS: The 1924 construction bills totaled $12,000. Cost estimates of the original structure are unavailable.
ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: West House was constructed in the Colonial style of architecture with a tall porch across the front of the second story. Lyle Bartholomew of Portland was the architect on the project.
CURRENT USES: West House currently houses the offices of the Communication and Journalism Department on the second floor and the Business and Economics Department on the first floor. West House contains 4,730 square feet of office space.
HISTORY: West House was a private boarding house purchased by the school in 1926. West House was initially used as faculty offices and a student recreation center. In 1937 West House became the first men's dormitory
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: West House was created by adding and enlarging an existing structure on the land. The original home was as the Virginia Hurst house and was remodeled by Clay Taylor for use as a boarding house.
Open the original version of this page.