CONSTRUCTION DATES: Werner University Center was built in 1960 and dedicated on October 24 of that year.
REMODEL: There have been several remodels and renovations of the Werner Center. The first large operation was in 1972, and the second was in 1986. Smaller projects were completed in 1981, 1984, and 1987. Another major remodel and renovation of the Werner Center was started in 1996 and completed in March of 2000. This construction brought the floor space to 85,000 square feet at a cost of $8.5 million. Seder Architects PC was the design firm for the 2000 remodel.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: The initial contractor on the project went bankrupt and the United Pacific Insurance company took over the responsibility.
COSTS: When completed in 1960, the bill was $830,000 including furnishings and landscaping.
ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: Werner is a concrete and brick reinforced building designed by Annand, Boone, and Lei to blend with the older buildings on campus.
CURRENT USES: The Werner University Center is the hub of student activities on campus. Werner University Center features a game room, computer lab, coffee shop, bookstore, snack bar, food court, and rooms for movie screenings and meetings. Student Leadership and Activities, Student Government, Student Media, Career Services, Disability Services, and Non-Traditional Student Services are all located in the University Center.
HISTORY: Werner University Center was built as a student activities center. Until the completion of Valsetz Dining Hall in 1971, the university's food service was located in the University Center.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: The Student Center was built to replace Maple Hall. Built in 1914, Maple Hall was simply too small and poorly designed for a student center. Initially, the building was called the Student Center-Commons. By the 1970s, the name had changed to the College Center. The name was changed to Werner College Center in 1989 to honor Neal Werner. Werner was the College Center director and key advocate for an expanded and remodeled student center. The convict-made bricks in the sidewalk on the south side of the Werner building were salvaged from the demolished smokestack of the old physical plant which once stood behind Todd Hall. A steel and concrete strike in 1959-1960 slowed construction of the building.
Open the original version of this page.