CONSTRUCTION DATES: New PE was constructed in 1971.
REMODEL: Additional facilities and class rooms were later incorporated into the building.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: Robert D. Morrow, Inc. of Salem was the general contractor on the construction project.
COSTS: The construction and equipment bills totaled $1.3 million for New PE.
ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: The firm of Payne and Settecase of Salem designed the multipurpose building. The building is constructed of concrete and brick veneer panels.
CURRENT USES: New PE offers a gym, gymnastic facilities, indoor tennis courts, and a multi-purpose surface that accommodates baseball and softball practices as well as basketball, volleyball, floor hockey, tennis, and soccer. Additionally, New PE contains the education and health classrooms and athletic offices. The building can seat over 3,000 spectators.
HISTORY: New PE was built to augment the space and amenities of Old PE built in 1935.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: The building's exterior was described by the Polk Sun as dignified with a "strong masculine quality' when completed. The facility was almost not built due to the bleak financial state of the system. Bids were cancelled in 1970 for both the New PE building and an addition to the OSU library. Bids were reinstated later in that year and construction went forward.
Open the original version of this page.