EAST HOUSE/JUNIOR COTTAGE East House/Junior Cottage
CONSTRUCTION DATES: The date of the original construction of The Junior Cottage is unavailable.
REMODEL: No significant remodel or renovation of The Junior Cottage are known.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: Unknown, but the structure was probably built by J.H. Remington, the buildings original owner.
COSTS: The Oregon Normal School purchased for $3,500 the property and building formerly known as the Remington House in 1920 for use as a dormitory. In the late 1930s to early 1940s, East House was sold for $8,000 to Prof. E. Fletcher Barrows.
ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: East House was constructed in a Colonial style of architecture.
CURRENT USES: East House is currently privately owned.
HISTORY: East House was used as a women’s’ dormitory from January, 1921 through the early 1930s. East House was home to 36 junior women and a house mother each term. Prior to its use as the school’s infirmary in 1936, East House was also used to house women facility members. It was later sold and is still standing on Monmouth Avenue across from West House.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: East House and the Senior Cottage were the two honor dormitories under college control. Much like the Senior Cottage, East House applicants were selected based on academic standing, tidiness, and good citizenship. Jessica Todd, namesake for Todd Hall, led the drive for the purchase of East House.
Open the original version of this page.