GENTLE HALL Gentle Hall
CONSTRUCTION DATES: Gentle Hall was built in 1966 and dedicated on May 6, 1967 at the OCE Alumni Day festivities.
REMODEL: Information on any significant remodel of Gentle Hall is unavailable.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: The general contractor for the construction of Gentle Hall was the Lorentz Bruun Company of Portland.
COSTS: When finished, Gentle Hall sported a $375,000 price tag.
ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: Gentle Hall was designed to from a cohesive stylistic grouping of dorms with Butler, Barnum, and Lander Halls. As with the other buildings, Payne and Settecase were retained as architects for the project.
CURRENT USES: Gentle Hall and its 24,619 square feet are home to 77 coeducational students each year.
HISTORY: Gentle Hall was built as a women’s dormitory and initially held up to 144 students in apartment-style residences. Gentle, Butler, Barnum, and Landers Halls ring Valsetz Dining Hall and are the geographic center of residential campus life .
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: Gentle Hall was named after Thomas H. Gentle, head of the Training School and the training program from 1911 to 1928. Gentle has been characterized as a master teacher and was influential educator.
Open the original version of this page.