BARNUM HALL Barnum Hall
CONSTRUCTION DATES: Barnum Hall construction was completed in the fall of 1968.
REMODEL: Barnum Hall has not had any significant remodel or renovation as of 2005.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: Forester Construction of Salem was the lead contractor on the construction of Landers Hall.
COSTS: The bill for construction of Landers Hall totaled $448,000 when completed in 1968.
ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: Barnum Hall consists of apartment style dorms with a living/study area, separate bedroom, and a common bathroom that connects to a similar unit on the other side. Each unit houses a total of six through eight students (two to three on either side) and has outside entrances. Barnum Hall also features a main lounge area for television, meetings, and special events.
CURRENT USES: Barnum Hall is one of the coeducational dormitories on campus. Generally, Barnum Hall usually houses just over 100 junior and senior students. Barnum Hall contains over 24,500 square feet of living space that could accommodate 143 students if needed.
HISTORY: Barnum Hall was built as a residence hall to accommodate the increasing volume of students on campus.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: Barnum Hall was named in honor of Sophia E. Barnum. Barnum served on the teaching faculty from 1929 until 1947 when she retired as an Assistant Professor Emeritus of Education. Barnum also was principal of the Independence Training School for several years.
Open the original version of this page.