ARBUTHNOT HALL Arbuthnot Hall
CONSTRUCTION DATES: The groundbreaking ceremony for Arbuthnot Hall was May 4, 1961. Construction was completed in May of 1962 with the building dedication January 27, 1963.
REMODEL: A new wing was added to Arby Hall in 1987 to make room for the Oregon Police Academy. The bill totaled $2 million.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: Robert D. Morrow of Salem was hired to construct the building.
COSTS: Arbuthnot Hall construction bills totaled $630,000.
ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: The firm of Burns, Bear, McNeil, and Schneider of Portland designed the three story brick and concrete building.
CURRENT USES: Arbuthnot Hall merged with newer buildings to become part of the Oregon Police Academy in 1986.
HISTORY: Originally built as a women’s dormitory, Arbuthnot Hall could house over 150 women in 75 rooms with built-in furniture and closets in its 35,182 square feet. In 1986 Arbuthnot Hall became part of the Oregon Police Academy.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: The building was named after Katherine Arbuthnot, a popular social science teacher from 1913-1947. Arbuthnot was also the first principal of the Independence Elementary School when it became a training center. Arbuthnot was known for her generous nature, sparkling humor, and unselfishness. The building sits on the former site of a Texaco gas station. Arbuthnot Hall started an annual community Easter egg hunt in 1963. The dorm was nicknamed “Arby” by residents. Closed circuit television feeds were used during Arbuthnot Hall’s dedication to accommodate the overflow crowds.
Open the original version of this page.