Information coming soon
This Guide was created with input from international students and reflects their
needs and interests.
Monmouth Public Library issues free Regional
Library Cards to WOU students
The Book Bin in Salem - 503-361-1235, Salem@bookbin.com
Borders in Salem & Corvallis - 503-363-6797, www.borders.com
• Online books: www.amazon.com
• WOU Bookstore
For course books and ISBN numbers check:
• Online book sellers often have lower prices.
Contact websites to purchase SIM cards, contract and pre-paid phones
• For Triband phones, use SIM cards
Nearby Shopping Malls
• Downtown Salem and Corvallis have many independently owned stores
• The Woodburn Outlet Stores sell brand name products at discounted prices
• Salem Center gives you that mall experience
• Lancaster Mall is on the east side of Salem
There’s much to see and do at WOU and in the region. Keep your eyes open,
especially for cultural entertainment (concerts, theatre, etc.) which is not always
well advertised. Check with ASWOU and fellow students.
This is the direct link to the WOU calendar:
503-606-3000, 450 S. 2nd Street, Independence (Get a voucher from WOU
Bookstore for cheaper tickets. Many midnight moves are at reduced prices.)
Monmouth is centrally located and an hour or two from the beach, Portland, and the
mountains. There are smaller and bigger parks everywhere. Oregon nature is
• The Independence River Front Park is just minutes away.
• Others are described in detail at www.travelsalem.com
The area around Monmouth is perfect for any kind of biking, hiking, skiing,
swimming, horseback riding, and more. WOU sponsors sport clubs (WOU also
offers P.E. classes like fly fishing, backpacking, etc.)
The WOU Wolf Planner has an extensive list of eateries on and off campus.
• Travel Salem has details on many types of eating establishments in the area.
Dining around Monmouth:
Yang’s Teriyaki (Chinese) 140 N Monmouth Ave
Rice Time (Chinese/Japanese) 310 E Main Street
Sing Fay (Chinese) 198 W Main Street
Little Caesar’s (American Pizza) Main Street (Market Place)
J’s Hwy 99 Grille (American) 220 N Pacific Highway
Rick’s Place (Coffee Shop) 123 E Main Street
New York Bagel & Bistro (Sandwiches, Coffee, Internet cafe) Main Street
Big Town Hero (Fast Food/Sandwiches) Pacific Highway and Powell Street
KFC/A&W (Fast Food) Pacific Highway 99
Dairy Queen (Fast Food) Pacific Highway 99
Burgerville (Fast Food) Pacific Highway 99
Muchas Gracias (Mexican) Pacific Highway 99
Burrito Track (Mexican) Pacific Highway 99
• At www.craigslist.org you find anything from products, services, cars and
• GoodWill and H20 second hand stores in Dallas and Salem have used items
• The IKEA store in Portland is near the airport:
Near-by pharmacies for prescriptions:
• Bi-Mart, 444 Pacific Ave S, Monmouth, www.bimart.com. 503-838-0547
• Wal-Mart, 321 Ne Kings Valley Hwy, Dallas 503-623-0490
International Education & Development ph:503-838-8425 fax:503-838-8338 | or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Open the original version of this page.