Return to Immigration Forms and Information page.
All Students Leaving WOU Must Do the Following:
- Submit the Departure Notice form online.
- Submit the ISSA Exit Survey online at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TQY6Q2W.
- Withdraw from any classes registered for (approval will need to be given from ISSA before notifying the Registrar’s office).
- Verify in Wolf Web or at the Cashier’s office that your account has a $0 balance before leaving. Pay any money owed and make sure to collect a refund for any insurance payment made.
- If working on campus, notify your employer and give the Payroll office at least 5 business days notice to print your final check. Do not work during these 5 days.
- If living in the residence halls, students must inform the University Housing office of their departure and properly check out of the room to avoid any fees due to improper check-out.
- If receiving an ICSP scholarship, contact Ambre Plahn at firstname.lastname@example.org
Find your situation in the left column of the table below, then follow the relevant information.
I am graduating
- Contact the evaluation department in the Registrar’s office to apply for and confirm graduation at least 3 terms before the expected graduation term. This may require a meeting with your major academic advisor.
- Contact the ISSA office and inform them of your graduation term. If you will take less than full time classes your final term (under 12 credits as an undergraduate student or 9 credits as a graduate student) you will need to complete a Reduced Course Load form at the beginning of the term.
- During your last term, check with your professors if your grade in the class is passing or be prepared to extend your SEVIS record if you will not graduate by the end date on your I-20/DS-2019. You must file for an I-20/DS-2019 extension before the end date or apply for reinstatement.
- If you plan to apply for Optional Practical Training, Academic Training, change your immigration status, or change education levels (apply to a Masters or PhD program), understand that it takes 2+ months to get approved so plan and apply early.
I am transferring to another school
- Before the start of the term you plan to transfer, read the transfer information, complete the departure paperwork and the transfer-out form.
- Usually the new school will require the student and the current international student advisor to complete a “Transfer-In form”. Give the form to the WOU International Student Advisor to fill out and fax to the transfer school.
- Submit the acceptance letter from the new school to the ISSA office by fax, email or drop off in Maaske Hall.
- If you are funded by the Cultural Mission, notify them of the transfer and submit the new financial guarantee for the new school to ISSA for confirmation of transfer acceptance.
- Confirm that you will start attendance at the new school by the next available term, or within 5 months of taking full time classes (whichever is sooner).
- After the transfer release date, you will need to contact your new school to issue a new I-20 or DS-2019. Employment authorization on and off campus ends at this time.
- Any student holding a J-1 visa who wishes to transfer to a new school needs to meet with an International Student Advisor.
I am leaving and not returning to WOU
(Withdrawing from WOU)
- Contact the ISSA office and inform them of your withdrawal or leave of absence. After the departure paperwork is completed, the ISSA office will give permission to the international student to drop any current or future classes.
- The student must complete an application for withdrawal from the University, obtain the necessary signatures, and return the form to the Registrar’s office.
- Contact the Cashier’s office to receive any refund of tuition and fees (if during the term).
- Visit the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs for an exit interview.
- Depart the U.S. within 14 days.
I am leaving for a while but plan to return
(Leave of Absence from WOU)
- Read the Leave of Absence Information PDF.
- Print or electronically save this document so that you will have a reference during the entire period of time you will be taking a Leave of Absence. You must be fully aware of your responsibilities over the course of the time you are gone as well as the times when you must be in communication with ISSA.
- Depart the U.S. within 14 days.
I want to take a vacation term but not during summer term
If you are eligible, submit the Notice of Vacation Term Form.