Criminal justice online degree programs
Driver Education Instructor Certification
ODOT-Transportation Safety Division has contracted with Western Oregon University to issue certificates to qualified Driver Education instructors. This certificate will demonstrate to your employer and anyone else who is interested that you are certified to teach in an approved driver education program.
All instructors teaching in an ODOT-TSD approved program must hold a certification card from ODOT/WOU.
What is the Process?
- Instructors will apply for a certificate through WOU, providing necessary paperwork.
- WOU will determine if the instructor meets requirements.
- If qualified, WOU will mail a certificate.
- If not qualified, WOU will notify individual of items needing correction.
- Upon receipt of certificate, individual will provide their employer a copy.
- Instructor is responsible for attending a minimum of 15 hours of continuing education every two years. In most cases, these hours will be reported directly to WOU by the training provider.
- If there is a change in status, employer, or contact information, instructor must notify WOU.
- When the two-year expiration date is near, WOU will contact instructor with a reminder to reapply.
Responsibilities for New Instructors
- Meet all qualification requirements as outlined in the Oregon Administrative Rules.
- Apply for certificate through WOU's online system.
- Applicants will need to provide the following documents to WOU via email (email@example.com), fax (503-838-8473) or mail.
- Copy of current Driver License
- Copy of current First Aid certification
- Copy of current CPR certification
- Be sure to provide WOU your current email address – the majority of correspondence regarding certification will come via email, and you are responsible for providing an email address in order to receive correspondence.
- Provide employer with copy of certificate upon receipt.
Responsibilities for Approved Instructors
- Earn 15 hours of continuing education every two years.
- Renew your First Aid/CPR certification prior to expiration.
- Keep track of your qualifications by looking up your record here.
- Reapply for certificate prior to expiration (every two years).
- If you lose your certificate, you may apply for a new copy (there will be a fee).
- Update WOU when any of these changes occur:
- Contact Information (address, phone, email)
- Change in modality taught (i.e. adding BTW to existing Classroom certificate)
- Resignation/retirement from active teaching
- Ineligibility due to traffic or criminal conviction
- If an instructor becomes ineligible to teach at any time, he/she is required to immediately return the instructor certificate card to WOU.
Responsibilities for Providers
- Provide WOU with documentation for any continuing education trainings sponsored by your organization. Please send the following information:
- Time Schedule
- List of Attendees and Hours Attended
- When hiring a new instructor, obtain a copy of his/her certificate before allowing them to teach.
- Providers will no longer need to keep copies of WOU training or continuing education certificates.