Criminal justice online degree programs
Driver Education Instructor Certification
ODOT-Transportation Safety Division has contracted with Western Oregon University to issue certificates to qualified Driver Education instructors. This certificate will demonstrate to your employer and anyone else who is interested that you are certified to teach in an approved driver education program.
Effective December 1, 2012, all instructors teaching in an ODOT-TSD approved program must hold a certification card from ODOT/WOU.
Why the Change?
- Reduces the amount of paperwork and tracking for providers
- Reduces duplication of efforts
- Allows for better management of instructor qualifications
- Reduces inspection time
- Reduces the burden on instructors who work for more than one employer
- Places the program in compliance with Oregon Administrative Rules
What is the Process?
- Instructors will apply for a certificate through WOU, providing necessary paperwork.
- WOU will determine if the instructor meets requirements.
- If qualified, WOU will mail a certificate.
- If not qualified, WOU will notify individual of items needing correction.
- Upon receipt of certificate, individual will provide their employer a copy.
- Instructor is responsible for attending a minimum of 15 hours of continuing education every two years. In most cases, these hours will be reported directly to WOU by the training provider.
- If there is a change in status, employer, or contact information, instructor must notify WOU.
- When the two-year expiration date is near, WOU will contact instructor with a reminder to reapply.
Responsibilities for Instructors
- Meet all qualification requirements as outlined in the Oregon Administrative Rules.
- Apply for certificate through WOU's online system.
- We realize that instructors have varying continuing education schedules, often dependent on the timing of the employer’s inspection. To allow for this, we will be accepting continuing education hours from the past 2 1/2 years for the initial application only.
- Applicants will need to provide the following documents to WOU via email (email@example.com), fax (503-838-8473) or mail.
- Copy of current Driver License
- Copy of DMV Certified Court Print, dated within the previous 60 days
- Copy of current First Aid certification
- Copy of current CPR certification
- Proof of 15 continuing education hours within the past 2 1/2 years. If your employer provided CE trainings, they can submit proof of attendance for all of their instructors to WOU. NOTE: If you attended WOU’s instructor training courses within the past 2 1/2 years, those hours count as your current CE hours.
- If any of your original teacher training was conducted by a provider other than WOU, you must submit a copy of the certificate from that class.
- Be sure to provide WOU your current email address – the majority of correspondence regarding certification will come via email, and you are responsible for providing an email address in order to receive correspondence.
- Provide employer with copy of certificate upon receipt.
- Earn 15 hours of continuing education every two years.
- Reapply for certificate prior to expiration (every two years).
- If you lose your certificate, you may apply for a new copy (there will be a fee).
- Update WOU when any of these changes occur:
- Contact Information (address, phone, email)
- Change in modality taught (i.e. adding BTW to existing Classroom certificate)
- Resignation/retirement from active teaching
- Ineligibility due to traffic or criminal conviction
- If an instructor becomes ineligible to teach at any time, he/she is required to immediately return the instructor certificate card to WOU.
Responsibilities for Providers
- Provide WOU with documentation for any continuing education trainings sponsored by your organization over the past 2 1/2 years. You will also need to send this information to WOU for every training you hold in the future to ensure your instructors receive credit for attending. Please send the following information:
- Time Schedule
- List of Attendees and Hours Attended
- Obtain copies of certificate for all active instructors. Any instructor who does not have a current certificate will not be allowed to teach after November 30, 2012.
- When hiring a new instructor, obtain a copy of his/her certificate before allowing them to teach.
- Providers will no longer need to keep copies of WOU training or continuing education certificates.