Criminal justice online degree programs
Becoming a Driver Ed Instructor
Oregon Administrative Rules require all Driver Ed instructors who teach for an ODOT-TSD approved teen program to complete an approved course of study.
More information about these courses is listed below. WOU offers classes in various locations throughout the state. Please see our schedule of courses to register for an upcoming class.
Foundations of Traffic Safety Education (FTSE)
This course is required and must be successfully completed prior to enrolling in either of the next two courses.
Fundamentals of Classroom Traffic Safety Instruction (FOC)
Successful completion certifies individual to be able to instruct in the classroom.
Fundamentals of Behind-the-Wheel Instruction (BTW)
Successful completion certifies individual to be able to instruct in a vehicle.
In addition to taking the training classes, approved Driver Ed instructors must also meet the following criteria,
- Hold a valid Oregon driver license, or a license from a state adjacent to Oregon if the person is a legal resident of that state.
- Have current First Aid & CPR certification.
- Meet these driving record qualifications:
- Not more than one driver improvement violation within the preceding 12 months or more than two within the preceding 24 months.
- No drug or alcohol-related traffic violation, conviction or infraction within the preceding five years.
- No driver's license suspension, cancellation, revocation or denial within the preceding three years.
- Complete a minimum of 15 hours of continuing education every two years.
- Teach a minimum of 30-hours in an ODOT-TSD approved program every two years.
- Individuals employed by a commercial driving school may be subject to additional requirements.
Get a Job as a Driver Education Instructor
Wondering who to contact about getting a job as a Driver Ed Instructor? Click here to see a list of approved providers in your area.