GERMAN STUDIES MAJOR APPROVED.
The Oregon University System board gave final approval in 2005 to a new German Studies major. See the details of the major at the Modern Languages/German page.
2005-2006 Student Highlights: 12 students presented at regional conferences
N.U.C.L. 2006, Portland
Kendra Boettger, “The Coalesce a Man: The Story of Hareton Earnshaw” (ENG 415)
Lance Deal, Original Poetry (WR 461)
Cynthia Dusenbery, “Women’s Roles.” (ENG 325: 20th Century British Literature)
Tiffany Graves, Original Poetry (WR 461)
Ashley Kornstad, “On the Functions of Truth and Lying.” (ENG 325)
Nicole Perry, “Three Blind MAUSes” (ENG 407)
Northwest Communication Association, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. April, 2006.
Lee Clarkson, “Super Size Me: Will Extreme Approach Spark Extreme Change?”
Stacie Wells, “Fostering Cultural Acceptance: A Narrative Criticism of Finding Forrester”
Will Florence, “The Rhetorical Power of Symbolism in Advertisements: Analyzing the Archaic Appeals of Dean Guitars” [1st Honorable Mention Undergraduate Paper, Northwest Communication Association, 2006]
Maria Austin, “Emmeline B. Wells: Revolutionary Woman of Words and Action
Will Florence, “Martin Luther King, Jr.: The Legacy, the Universalization, and the Prize”
Steven Sharp, “Roper v. Simmons: An Analysis of Oral Argument”
2 students were awarded Fulbright Teaching fellowships in Austria
111 credits of internships were earned over the year
The Delmar Dewey award winner was a Philosophy major
Meyer Prize: Annual Competition at WOU for best undergraduate essay on literature. 2005-06 Winner: Jennifer Carmichael, “From Brigand to Bookworm: How Reading Shapes Interiority” Tie: 2nd: Shauna Anderson, “Center of Instability as the Abyss of Paranoia” AND Amanda Miles, “Joyce’s A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man: From Freud to Erikson”
2005-2006 Faculty Highlights:
Cornelia Paraskevas was awarded a congressional merit certificate from Rep. Darlene Hooley, after a nomination from students.
International Faculty Connections:
Eduardo Gonzalez-Viana: to Oviedo, Spain (Fall 2006)
Seven faculty members presented papers at international conferences
- Molly Mayhead & B.D. Marshall (Eds.) (2005). Women’s Political Discourse: A 21st Century Perspective. Blue Ridge Summit, PA: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Eduardo González Viaña. American Dreams (Tr. Heather Moore Cantarero). Arte Público Press, University of Houston, 2005.
- Cornelia Paraskevas: Conversations About Writing: Eavesdropping, Inkshedding and Joining In. (with E. Sargent). Toronto, Canada: Thomson/Nelson, 2005.
- Daniel, Susan. “Recent Publications” for Collingwood and British Idealism Studies.
- Hickerson, Ryan. “Getting the Quasi-Picture” forthcoming in the Journal of the History of Philosophy.
-- “An Indirect Defense of Direct Realism” in Journal of Mind and Behavior
- Perlman, Mark. “The Modern Philosophical Ressurection of Teleology” in The Monist.
- Harding, Carol. Review of R. Rutherford, Classical Literature: A Concise History. (Oxford: Blackwell, 2005). Bryn Mawr Classical Review (2005; online).
--“To Essay or Not to Essay.” The Phi Kappa Phi Forum 84.4 (2004): 52-53.
- Hargreaves, David. 2004. “Language Lessons” (poem) published in the journal POEM, 91. Hunstville Literary Association, Huntsville,Alabama.
--"Directional Prefixes in Kathmandu Newar" in Anju Saxena (ed.) Himalayan Languages: Past and Present. Trends in Linguistics. Studies and Monographs. Berlin: Mouton.
--“Agency and Intentional Action in Kathmandu Newar.” Himalayan Linguistics 4. 1-48.
- Hughes, Henry. "Fish, Sex and Cannibalism: Appetites for Conversion in Melville's Typee." Leviathan: A Journal of Melville Studies 6.7 (2004): 3-16.
--Rev. of "Drunken Sailor by John Montague." Forthcoming in Harvard Review.
--Rev. of “The Fly Fishing Anthology, edited by Danielle Ibister.” Aethlon: the Journal of Sport Literature 22.2 (Spring 2005): 170
--Rev. of "Poppy by Austin Hummel and Wild Civility by David Biespiel." Hiram Poetry Review 66 (Spring 2005): 34-39
--Rev. of "Found in a River: Steelhead & Other Revelations by Jeff Bright." Aethlon: the Journal of Sport Literature 21:2 (Winter 2004): 106
--"Lisa's Treatment." Northwest Review [University of Oregon] 43.1 (2005): 141-146.
- Keulks, Gavin. 9 articles in the Oxford Encyclopedia of British Literature (forthcoming, November 2005).
- Paraskevas, Cornelia. “Learning About Grammar: Analyze Aloud Protocols of Preservice Teachers.” International Journal of Learning, vol 11: 93-99.
--“Language and Class in Greek Cemeteries.” To appear in Studies in Literary Imagination, Spring 2006.
- Backus, Nick, & Ferraris, Claire. (2004). Theory meets practice: Using the Potter Box to teach business communication ethics. Proceedings of the 69th Annual Convention of The Association for Business Communication. Available: http://pkp.ubc.ca/abc/ojs/viewarticle.php?id=53
- Nevius, Frank. Weather Reporting. In The International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management. Commonground Publishing, 2006.
--Disney, Films and Youth: Guides for Adolescent Development in Entertainment. In GLIMPSE: Phenomenology and Media. 2006.
- Plec. Emily. “Dualisms to Dialogism: Ambivalency in Discourse about the Natural World” (with T. Marafiote). Environmental Communication Yearbook, 2, in press.
--“Characterizations and Articulations in Vernacular Environmental Discourse” (with T. Marafiote). Journal of the Northwest Communication Association, 33, 1-19. 2004
--“Poisoning a People, Poisoning a Planet: Farmworkers, Environmentalist Justice, and the Material Rhetoric of Pesticides.” Proceedings of the 2005 Conference on Communication and the Environment. Jekyll Island, Georgia. 2005
--“Frank Waters ecofeminist sensibility.” In B. Waters (Ed.), Rekindling the Inner Light (pp. 167-182). Taos, NM: The Frank Waters Foundation. 2004
- González-Viaña, Eduardo. Weekly column, “Correo de Salem,” published in approximately 30 Spanish-language newspapers in the Americas.
- Martella, Gianna. “Lucha Corpi and the Latina PI in the U.S.” New Directions in Hispanic and Luso-Brazilian Detective Fiction. Eds. Jacqueline Collins and Renée Craig Odders. 2005.
--“Larreta’s Volavérunt: A Different Kind of Detective Story.” Historical Detective Fiction. Ed. Gina MacDonald. 2005.
--“National Identity and Detective Fiction.” Latin American Identities: Legacies and Possibilities. Ed. Kate Quinn. 2005.
- Strand, Cheryl. "Iniciación a la vida bajo la dictadura: Entrevista con una española," forthcoming in España Contemporánea.