Page Content Main Links Utility Links Quick Links Footer
Home >> University events >> Academic Excellence Showcase
Session management and the role of session chairs
- One week prior to the meeting, communicate with each presenter to reconfirm session arrangements, schedules and plans regarding their attendance at the symposium. Instruct them to arrive at the session room 30 minutes prior to the start of the session to receive last-minute instructions. Check that your speakers have all arrived and that you have all necessary A/V equipment
- There may be a session aide in your meeting room. The aide will be available to with the distribution attendance verification tickets, and to help with other duties, such as dimming the lights for LCD computer projector presentations. In the event that a session aide is not available during your session, you will need to handle these duties.
- During your session, please keep your speakers on schedule. If a scheduled presenter has been canceled or the presenter is a "no show," fill the extra time with discussion or a break. Do not advance subsequent presentations ahead of the schedule printed in the Showcase Program.
- Arrive to Session Room well in advance of the Session.
- Introduce yourself to any Session Aides (if provided). Introduce them to your Co-Chairs and speakers if possible. Let them know if you wish them to operate any of the A/V equipment and give them anything you need handed out before the session. This is the first session for many aides so any assistance you can give them will benefit both the aide and the success of your session.
- Check the A/V equipment and microphones. Make sure you know how to operate the audiovisual equipment that is being used in the session and that everything is in working order. If you do not, you may ask a Session Aide to contact the A/V Coordinator and they will send someone to the room to show you. If you or your speakers are using videotape, make sure the equipment is operating properly. Test the microphones if one is provided.
- Room Lights. Make sure you know where the light switches are. You may ask the Session Aide or A/V Person to dim or brighten a room during presentation. (Note: Some rooms do not have dimmers.)
- Session Attendance. The Showcase planning committee has adopted an attendance verification system so that faculty members can document individual student attendance. This strategy involves the distribution of “tickets” following each presentation. Session Aides can be used to facilitate the orderly dissemination of tickets.
- Seating. As the room starts to fill up, try to direct attendees to empty seats.
- Be Courteous and Professional. We should strive to make sure that their Session Aide experience is not only an opportunity for career networking but a professional experience from which they benefit from organization and leadership.
- For questions regarding session information, please contact the Showcase Planning Committee.
return to top
venom-127 Remote IP: (none!)