Welcome to Western Oregon University’s Diversity Committee Webpage
This website presents resources and information relevant to a variety of campus stakeholders. Links below provide information about the University Diversity Committee and our efforts for inclusivity and promotion of diversity efforts on campus.
Western Oregon University Diversity Statement
Western Oregon University emphasizes diversity as a matter of institutional priority and an integral component of academic success. As we continue to increase our understanding and commitment to diversity we strive to:
- create respect for and appreciation of all persons and ideas as a key characteristic of our campus community;
- increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts;
- promote active engagement among all members of our campus and surrounding communities; and
- foster a campus environment that is inclusive and accessible to students, faculty, staff and administration across the campus community;.
In order to achieve our aspirations at Western Oregon University, we will:
- sustain a safe and welcoming environment that supports diversity;
- support full and equitable educational access;
- increase our efforts to recruit and retain a diverse campus community;
- prepare effective citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world;
- confront and resolve institutional barriers to social justice;
- challenge instances of prejudice, bias and discrimination;
- enhance current and create new systems of support for the success of the university; and
- dedicate resources to the diversity initiatives.
Western Oregon University Diversity Resources
WOU is the home to a variety of resources related to diversity and social justice. Click the links below to be taken to a variety of those resources. If you can’t find something that you are looking for, contact co-chairs John Wilkins email@example.com or Malissa Larson firstname.lastname@example.org.
Western Oregon University Diversity Plan
WOU’s University Diversity Committee has been hard at work designing our plan for the future and providing a template for diversity work on campus for the future. Our plan has been vetted by various campus user groups and senatorial bodies. You may find a copy of the final report by clicking
Western Oregon University Departments & OrganizationsMulticultural Student Services & Programs Office of Disability Services
Student Enrichment Program (SEP – TRiO Program) WOU Safe Zone
Veteran’s Services Admissions
International Student & Scholar Affairs Student Leadership & Activities
Academic Advising & Learning Center Student Health & Counseling Center
Human Resources & Affirmative Action Office WOU Provost’s Office
Campus Public Safety Vice President for Student Affairs
University Housing Student Affairs Committee on Inclusion
Note that MANY of WOU’s offices and department’s support diversity efforts! The above list is not meant to be inclusive of all departments, just some common ones.
WOU Student ResourcesASWOU (Student Government) Multicultural Student Union (MSU) Club
MEChA – Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanos de Aztlan Triangle Alliance (GLBTQQIA and allies)
Hawaiian Club Black Student Union
International Student Organization
These are just some of the student groups on campus – contact ASWOU for a complete listing of student organizations on campus.