Earth Day Every Day
Care And Respect the Earth
Virginia Western Community College is committed to operating the college in a way that responsibly utilizes our natural resources. We encourage our Faculty, Staff, and Students to engage in behavior that supports conservation and sustainability.
Friend us on Facebook!
Energy Usage on Campus
Curious about energy usage on campus? See what's happening with the Westridge Energy, LLC Virtual Energy Manager. (Note: You may be prompted to install a Java add-on or plug-in. Site works best in IE or Chrome.)
VW Sustainability Committee Best Practices
The following is a list of "best practices" developed by the Virginia Western Sustainability Committee. It is designed as a practical guide to follow with the hopes of making your daily routine more environmentally sound and to promote sustainable practices in and around the Virginia Western campus community.
- Shut down your computer at the end of every workday.
- Turn out office lights when not in office.
- Consider whether it is necessary to run all of the lights in the classroom and/or office.
- When using overhead projectors turn off some or all lights.
- Consider whether it's possible to even go beyond the VCCS recommendation/mandate for using the textbook for three years.
- Consider use of ebooks as well.
- There is a battery recycling bucket in every division.
- Call the Help Desk to have toner cartridges picked up.
- Coffee makers rather than having a pot with a heating element that stays on, use a one-cup coffee maker with a paper pod, rather than a plastic pod to save on waste, and then compost the pod.
- Remove personal refrigerators from individual offices and use community refrigerators instead, where possible.
- Do not use space heaters as they create a self-defeating cycle in the HVAC system which creates serious energy waste. Dress warmer?
Alternative Methods of Disseminating Information
- Eliminate flyers on campus by using the VWConnect, webpage, even emails instead.
- Use half-sheets when possible, if printing is needed.
- Use the Printing Services department when possible, this saves on toner and electricity.
- Use Blackboard for all handouts, including course syllabi.
- Use Blackboard for assignment submission and for testing.
- Save Powerpoints so they must be printed four or six slides to a page.