Construction work has started on the renovations to the 1st Floor dental materials lab area at the west end of the Fralin Center. The contractor will be performing some noise-generating demolition work on Tuesday and Wednesday, 11/25 & 11/26, with additional noisy demolition work to be conducted after-hours during the following two weeks. While undesirable, this noisy work must be done now so that they can construct the needed renovations. Please avoid this area as much as possible on Tuesday and Wednesday, and know that your patience and understanding over the next few weeks are greatly appreciated as these improvements are being made. Please contact Reggie Walker in Facilities Planning and Development ( RWalker@virginiawestern.edu) if you have any questions / concerns regarding this work.
November 25, 2014
The Help Desk will be open the following hours Thanksgiving week:
- Monday, November 24: 7:45AM - 7:00PM
- Tuesday, November 25: 7:45AM – 5:00PM
- Wednesday, November 26: 7:45AM – 12:00PM
Remember to take the stairs as often as possible during the last week of the 30-day stair challenge. If you feel sluggish after eating turkey on Thanksgiving, perhaps you can find some stairs to climb for a quick energy boost! As you climb, remember to place your entire foot on the step, do not lock your knees, lean forward to relieve stress on your lower back, and use the handrail.
All employees who accepted the stair challenge should return challenge sheets to Sandy Shelton in Webber W305 on Monday, December 1. Please deliver your sheet in person in order to receive your reward for participating in the challenge.
Sale Dates and Times
Friday, December 5, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
*** sale is open to Friends of the Arboretum only .
(For more information on how to become a Friend of the Arboretum please call Sharon Stinnette at 540-857-6702)
Open to Public:
Friday, December 5, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Saturday, December 6, 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Monday, December 8, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Freedom Red, Jubilee Pink, Jubilee Red, Red Glitter, Snowcap
4" single $3.00
6.5” Singles $7.50
7.5” Doubles $11.00
Hanging Baskets $20.00
Amaryllis bulbs in decorative container $14.00
This year we will be adding Christmas Decorations to the Sale! Below are some of the new additions:
Ornaments, Baskets, Wreaths, Swags, and Arrangements all made with items from The Community Arboretum at Virginia Western Community College .
If you have questions or would like to pre- order Amaryllis, wreaths, baskets, or swags please contact: CFurr@virginiawestern.edu
Come check out the Sale and enjoy some light refreshments!
The Fitness Center is offering the following classes throughout the month of November:
Mindful Meditation: Mondays 12:00pm-1:00pm Stop breathe observe and connect with your inner experience.
Yoga -Meditative Posture Flow: Mondays 2:00pm-3:00pm Intermediate stretch and flow class. Internal focus for energizing and calming.
Salsa Dancing: Tuesdays and Thursdays 2:30pm-3:30pm Learn to groove and burn calories at the same time. No partner necessary.
Virtual Tabata: Tuesdays 3:30pm-4:30pm Ignite your metabolism by alternating 20 seconds of work with 10 seconds of rest.
Hip Hop Cardio: Wednesdays 12:00pm-1:00pm Dance to the beat and burn calories.
Yoga Workout: Wednesdays 5:30pm-6:30pm Come prepared to build a sweat, build core strength and stamina.
Pilates: Thursdays 5:30pm-6:30pm Lengthen and strengthen your entire body using core muscles and incorporating strength training.
Zumba Fitness: Fridays 8:00am-9:00am Dance-based fitness that use a fusion of Latin and International rhythms with easy-to-follow moves.
Please be sure to bring your Student ID and wear soft soled shoes. For more information contact the Fitness Center Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Academic Link needs tutors for most subject areas for Spring 2015. Tutors are especially needed for all levels of math, all sciences, computer programming, engineering, and graphics arts. If you know students you believe would make good tutors, please have them call 540-857-6442 or email email@example.com. These are paid positions and applications are being accepted now. Interviewing will begin in early December, so interested students should contact the Academic Link as soon as possible.
November 24, 2014
The Help Desk will be open the following hours Thanksgiving week:
Monday, November 24: 7:45AM - 7:00PM
Tuesday, November 25: 7:45AM – 5:00PM
Wednesday, November 26: 7:45AM – 12:00PM
Brown Library has modified its hours of operation for the Thanksgiving holiday break.
- Saturday, November 22nd: 9am-4pm
- Monday, November 24th: 8am-8pm
- Tuesday, November 25th: 8am-5pm
- Wednesday, November 26th: 8am-12pm
- Thursday, November 27th—Sunday, November 30th: Closed
Remember, even when the library is closed, you can still access professional assistance, online library resources, and computers for doing class work or research. Check out these alternatives:
Let's fill up all the appointment spots and donate blood in honor of our co-workers who are fighting or have won the fight against cancer!
December 3 from noon to 4 p.m., the Red Cross bloodmobile will be in front of the Student Life Center.
Please go to www.redcross.org/blood using Firefox or Chrome , click on Donate Blood and enter VWCC in the Find a Blood Drive box. Choose a donation time from those listed that suits your schedule. I will be happy to schedule a time for you if prefer. Please contact me at 7-6124 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Hope to see you there....
Please join us for the
EMPLOYEE HOLIDAY LUNCHEON
on Monday, December 15th, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
in the multipurpose room in the Fralin Center.
MEAL: Our meal will be catered by Plantation Creation and the menu will include:
- Herb roasted turkey breast with giblet gravy (gluten free)
- Baked sliced ham glazed with honey bourbon (gluten free)
- Tomato & spinach egg casserole with buttery crust (vegetarian option)
- Buttered mashed potatoes (gluten free)
- Garden salad (gluten free)
- Sautéed green beans with roasted red peppers & almonds (gluten free)
- Yeast rolls with butter
- Sweet tea, unsweet tea, lemonade, water, coffee
- Variety of desserts
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED! PLEASEregister prior to the event so that we can make sure we order the correct amount of food. The difference of 100 people equates to over $1,000.Please register by noon on December 8th. http://tinyurl.com/vwcc-holiday2014
OPPORTUNITIES FOR GIVING:
- Wooly Tree bring in hats, scarfs, gloves and decorate the Wooly Tree! Donations will go to Salvation Army. The Salvation Army is also in need of new or gently worn coats in all sizes for children and adults. The Salvation Army has requested that our trees focus on children as they have over 2,000 angels this year.
- Process and Problems Professional Services is a non-profit group helping victims of domestic violence. They are in need of monetary donations as well as tutors and mentors, learning materials, and job skills training to help victims secure employment. Learn more about this service: https://www.facebook.com/TREYSERVE
- Volunteer: The Salvation Army needs volunteers December 8-17 at the distribution center and kettle bell ringers Monday-Saturday from 10 a.m. - 7 p.m. at various locations. Volunteers may contact Belinda West (email@example.com or 343-3553 x108)
- Santa to a Senior: Home Instead Senior Care coordinates with 12 area agencies to identify Senior Citizens who are in need, and are not likely to receive gifts- even the basics. The most often requested gifts are: Jogging Suits, Wal-Mart gift cards, Sweaters and PJ’s. Contact Deb Squire, firstname.lastname@example.org, 857-6296.