Skip to Content


F Carr's Hill
rom the early 19th century, when as Brockenbrough’s Hill it was the site of the original off-Grounds student housing, Carr’s Hill-the sloping plot of land and the house-has been a central part of University life. The elegant McKim, Mead & White building, constructed in 1909, has been home to all seven of the University’s presidents. Carr’s Hill is a hard-working house that serves a dual purpose as a family residence and a gathering place for students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends. This history touches on all the changes the University has seen over the first century of the house and the role Carr’s Hill has played along the way.

Tour the History:

Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.