T Carr's Hill
he large tent terrace, shaded by a Southern magnolia, was constructed in 1992. The brick paths leading to the terrace are lined with azaleas, rhododendron, mountain laurel, and burford holly. Anemone and crocus bulbs herald the arrival of spring, along with the Jeffersonia diphylla, or twinleaf, a native plant named for the University's founder, Thomas Jefferson. These woodland plants are in bloom on his birthday, April 13.
North of the terrace is a cast iron capital that survived the fire in Jefferson's Rotunda in 1895. It now anchors a planting of colorful perennials. Mature boxwood loom over one side of the patio, offset by golden sprays of kerria in the corners. To the north, bluestone paths provide access to Campbell Hall, which houses the University's School of Architecture, and to the east, to the newly renovated Fayerweather Hall, the home of the Art History Department.
East of the reception terrace is a sweeping stretch of grass bordered by witch hazel and mahonia shrubs that blossom in early spring, followed by numerous daffodils and sweet scented hyacinth. In summer, bees and butterflies sip at tiny trumpets of abelia, and showy magnolia blossoms perfume the air. In winter, berries dangle from cranberry viburnum and nandina, adding bright clusters of color to the garden.
Open the original version of this page.