UVA Today | September 9, 2009
hroughout 2009, the University is celebrating the centennial year of Carr's Hill, the home of all of the University's seven presidents and the last building on the Grounds to be designed by McKim, Mead & White. This premier American architecture firm had been hired to rebuild the Rotunda after the fire of 1895 and later designed Cabell, Cocke, and Rouss halls at the south end of the Lawn. Since it was finished in 1909, Carr’s Hill has welcomed students, faculty members, alumni, community leaders, and guests from around the world, including Presidents of the United States and heads of state from other countries. The centennial celebration will take many forms, including special tours and events and exhibits about McKim, Mead & White’s work at the University. A new book, Carr’s Hill: The President’s House at the University of Virginia, 1909-2009, by Margaret Gutman Klosko, with an introduction by Richard Guy Wilson, is part of the celebration. This site is excerpted and adapted from that book.
Carr's Hill Architecture
Richard Guy Wilson
Read the introduction by Richard Guy Wilson, Commonwealth Professor of Architectural History, to Carr's Hill: The President's House at the University of Virginia, 1909-2009.