Back to Top
- Determine meeting/program content – purpose of meeting or conference, type of entertainment desired, theme of activity
- Determine number of participants – list of people who will be invited or number of people anticipated in response to select program content
- Identify potential dates and times
- Identify preferences regarding location/setting – large ballroom type setting, regular meeting room, banquet room, etc. The Illini Union has three large event rooms and several meeting/dining rooms of various sizes.
- Identify preferences for setting of the room and furnishings – banquet, conference tables, theatre seating, head table, podium, etc. The Illini Union Event Services Office has a collection of pre-determined set-ups for the various rooms in the building. Additionally, they will work with you to design a setup for your unique needs.
- Identify anticipated multimedia needs – telephone jack, network connection, conference phone, LCD projector, etc. The Multimedia Department has a comprehensive inventory of equipment to enhance your meeting or conference.
- Identify anticipated food and beverage needs based upon time of day and duration of event. The Catering Department offers quality service and an excellent menu of items for meetings, meals, receptions and other special events.
- Identify anticipated need for overnight accommodations. The Illini Union Hotel offers 72 hotel rooms plus two VIP suites.
- Identify anticipated need for special parking arrangements for guest speakers. Such arrangements are made on a first-come, first-served basis through the Assistant Director of Operations and there is a cost for the permits.
- Determine program budget based upon anticipated service needs and establish entry fee if one will be assessed.
- Contact the Illini Union Event Services Office to request space. Provide the Event Services staff with the information you have collected related to program content, number of participants, potential dates and times, location preference, setting, multimedia needs, catering needs, hotel needs and entry fee (if any).
- Staff will provide information on availability of the room that best meets your preferences, policies regarding use of rooms/reservations and related costs.
- Make arrangements for the safe storage of your materials, if your event will last more than one day. In some cases, you may be permitted to reserve an additional room for storage – consult with the Illini Union Event Services Office.
- Select a date, time, room and setting from the available dates provided by the Event Services staff.
- Contact the Illini Union Multimedia Department regarding anticipated multimedia needs. Staff will provide information on availability, related costs, and any policies related to such reservations.
- Contact the Illini Union Catering Office regarding anticipated food and beverage needs. Staff will provide information on menu items to meet your needs, related costs and any policies related to reservations.
- Contact the Illini Union Hotel regarding anticipated need for overnight accommodations. Staff will provide information on availability, related costs and any policies related to reservations.
- Contact the Illini Union Hotel regarding any special parking needs. Staff will provide information on availability, related costs and any policies related to such reservations.
- Contact the Division of Public Safety at the University of Illinois if the event you are planning will require a security presence.
- Inform your attendees of program content, date, time and specific location selected for the program/meeting through correspondence, calls or advertising.
- Inform your attendees that public parking is located in a lot near the corner of Sixth and Green Streets. While there are some metered spots adjacent to the Illini Union, such spots are often dedicated to hotel guests only.
- Make arrangements to ship materials, if needed, to the Illini Union. Specifically, materials should be shipped to Illini Union, MC-384, 1401 West Green Street, Urbana, IL 61801. Clearly mark all materials with company name, contact person, time and date of event and room of event.
- Follow up on all details related to room setting, multimedia equipment, catering service and hotel accommodations.
- Schedule an appointment to review all event details with the Illini Union Event Services staff 7 to 10 calendar days before your event if it is a large event or involves a non-routine setup.
- Pick up materials that were shipped prior to the event to the Illini Union. Such materials may be claimed at the Illini Union Event Services, which is located at the north end of the building. If the Event Services Office is closed, contact the building superviser at 244-4518.
- Collect any remaining materials after the event prior to your departure from the room and take them with you. The Illini Union is not responsible for items left on the premise.