Numerous events occur throughout the year that create awareness, provide education, and social opportunities. Some of these events include:
- Queertober: The Happiest Month of the Year!
- National Coming Out Day & Closet Door on the Quad
- Day of Silence & Break The Silence,
- and intersecting programs during Hispanic Awareness Month, Black History Month, Sexual Assault Awareness Month, among others.
Coming out support/discussion groups, such as Explore Yourself in a Private Place, occur throughout the year. Additionally, every Thursday from 4-6PM, students gather in the lounge for an informal non-judgmental social called LGBTea.
Spring Semester 2014 Highlights:
- Sean Fader – SUP? Lecture: Wednesday, March 12, 5:30PM, Brookens Aud. (ECCE); Visit to LGBTea Weekly Social: Thursday, March 13, 4-5PM, SLB 22; Opening Reception: Thursday, March 13, UIS Visual Arts Gallery, HSB 201
- Poet Lania Knight – Fiction Reading followed by Q&A and book signing. Wednesday, March 26, 7PM, LRH Great Room, Part of the Shelter belt Series
- Author Dorothy Allison – (StARS Symposium Keynote, ECCE) Friday, April 11, 7-8PM, Brookens Auditorium
- Day of Silence – Thursday, April 17, All Day. Break the Silence 4-6PM feat. LYRIC poetry slam group, PAC rm. G
- Lavender Graduation: A Celebration of LGBTQ and Allied students, staff, and faculty. Friday, May 16, 12-2PM, SLB Multipurpose Rm.