Meet Lan Dong,
- B.A. in Chinese Literature, Beijing University
- M.A. in Comparative Literature, Dartmouth College
- Ph.D. in Comparative Literature, University of Massachusetts at Amherst
- Moved to Springfield from the East Coast "Consider challenges as learning opportunities."
- Active learning
- Keeping an open mind
- Asian American literature and film
- Comics and graphic narratives
- Children’s literature
Professor Dong on Asian American literature and culture:
Major project underway:
- Editing a volume on critical approaches to teaching comics and graphic narratives at the college and university level.
- Revising a couple articles on comics, ethnicity, and education for publication.
Advice to prospective students:
- Be responsible (including not only be prepared for class, finish assignments on time, and participate in class discussion actively, but also take care of yourself).
- Consider challenges as learning opportunities.
- Seek help when you need it.
Best thing about UIS:
- Small class sizes