Using TechSmith Relay
Before trying TechSmith Relay, watch this short video that was created using the software. A hand-out with step-by-step instructions for installing and using the software is available. TechSmith Relay now fully integrates with Kaltura, allowing all Relay recordings to be played on any platform/device, as well as Blackboard, allowing recordings to be easily added to courses. This short video shows how to get the links to your recordings from both Blackboard and the Relay server.
Installing TechSmith Relay
- Open https://uiscamtasiar.uis.edu/Relay/. This will take you to the UIS TechSmith Relay website.
- Login with your NetID and Password. Click on “Sign In”.
- After logging in, click on “Download Recorders” on the navigation bar. This takes you to the download recorders page where you will select the recorder for your operating system. Click the appropriate “Download” link to download the installation file.
- After the download completes, locate and run the installer. This completes the installation of the TechSmith Relay client on your machine.
Using TechSmith Relay Client
[Note: For the clearest recording please set your screen resolution to 1024 x 768]
- Launch the “TechSmith Relay” client.
- Enter your UIS NetID and password and click “Log in”.
- To setup a new recording you need to:
- Select the “Kaltura” profile from the drop down list. [ More information]
- Add a “Title” for the recording.
- Add a brief “Description” for the recording.
- Check the microphone’s audio level. To check this, locate the green bar labeled “Volume”. Begin speaking and the green bar should go at least halfway to the right [to the yellow section]. [Optional: To add a video component to the screen capture select the “Camera” and verify that you are seeing the video from your webcam. This video will be added to the lower right hand corner of you screen capture. If you have multiple monitors you will need to select the appropriate monitor for the capture.]
- To begin recording, click “REC”. A second window will appear and there is a 5-second countdown to record. Once the countdown completes, the window changes and hides in your toolbar or dock.
- To stop your recording, click on the Camtasia Relay item in your toolbar or dock to retrieve the recorder controls. Press the “Stop” button to end the recording.
- The “TechSmith Relay Preview” will open. Here you can:
- Review your presentation
- Add notes
- Change the title
- Trim out any unwanted content at the beginning or the end of the video
- When you are finished previewing or editing the video click “Submit”. The video will be uploaded to the Web and processed. Once the file has been processed, TechSmith will notify you via e-mail when it is completed.
Known Issues with TechSmith Relay
If you are unable to connect to the TechSmith Relay server to upload your recording, please check your Internet settings. From the Control Panel, choose Internet Options. Click the Advanced tab. Scroll through the settings and verify that Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0 are NOT checked. Use TLS 1.0, Use TLS 1.1, and Use TLS 1.2 should be checked.
Profiles in TechSmith Relay
The Kaltura profile is the default profile assigned to the every user. This profile automatically publishes the video to Kaltura and creates the appropriate files so that the content can be streamed to any device. You can access your video by either logging in to your account on the TechSmith Relay Server or by logging in to Blackboard then navigate to the Kaltura Media link in the left column. Either place you will be able to access a link to share with others or embed code to put the video in a webpage or Blackboard course.
Explore Your TechSmithRelay Account
Once logged into your account at https://uiscamtasiar.uis.edu/Relay/, you will find the following tabs: Home, Presentations, Profiles, Account, Download recorders.
- “Home” is where you find “Recent Presentations” and FAQ’s.
- “Presentations” features two columns. One shows all of your presentations, and the other shows the status of your latest presentation. The first column also contains the detailed information about all of your previous presentations like number of “Completed”, ” Processing”, “Deleted”, “Failed” and “Needs attention” presentations which are separated by a drop-down list.
- “Profiles” is your current Profile/list of profiles [i.e type of video]. Blackboard settings, recording settings, encoding settings and publishing setting are displayed here.
- “Accounts” is where you can manage your TechSmith Relay Accounts.
- “Download Recorders” is where you can download TechSmith Relay client onto your machine.