- Journals in Print
- Journals Available Electronically
- Journals Covered by Some Key Databases or Publisher Sites
Most of the time, researchers first approach their topics by looking at the Library Catalog to locate books and databases to locate articles from journals, magazines, newspapers, conference proceedings, reviews, reports and book articles.
Sometimes researchers will begin their research by browsing journals. Among the reasons for searching a particular title are:
- having a citation to an article and needing to locate it within a particular journal title or
- instructors/peers/colleagues have recommended use of a particular journal title.
The University of Florida Libraries offers ways to look for journals both in print and electronically based on title.
Journals in Print
The Education Library subscribes to many journals and other periodicals useful for research in Education. The periodicals are arranged by title on the ground floor of the Library. Searching the Library Catalog first is recommended to determine that the UF Libraries subscribes to the publication and to verify its location within the library system.
Journals Available Electronically
Finding journals available electronically can be done by searching for them using the Library Catalog or by searching Serials Solutions database. To use Serials Solutions, use the first search box on the Journals page. The result page indicates whether a journal is available electronically. If it is not available, no result will appear and searching the Library Catalog is necessary. If the journal title search shows a result, the particular database(s) it is covered by is indicated along with the timeframe of coverage.
Serial Solutions result example
Above, three databases, Blackwell-Synergy (now called FCLA Wiley-Blackwell), Academic Search Premier and Professional Development Collection, have varying coverage of British Journal of Special Education. Notice that Blackwell has coverage to present and the latter two have a one-year embargo. Users can access the full text of this journal for the timeframe shown. Remember that these are subscription resources and prior to accessing the journals, users must login when working from off campus locations. It is recommended that you login using the VPN service for a better online experience. Some databases will not work correctly if you do not use the VPN.
**N.B. Searching a databases directly may make the search process for articles about a topic more efficient if a particular journal title is not necessary.
Journals Covered by Some Key Databases or Publisher Sites
These are subscription resources and prior to accessing the journals, users must login when working from off campus locations.
- Academic Search Premier -Click on 'Publications' and run a subject & description search of 'education'
- Arts and Humanities Citation Index (use dropdown for journals by subject, including language & linguistics)
- Wiley Online Library -Education page
- Professional Development Collection -Click on 'Publications' for a list of journals covered by this database.
- Project Muse--choose Education and related subjects from the list.
- Science Citation Index (use dropdown for journals by subject, including education, scientific disciplines; psychiatry; psychology)
- Social Science Citation Index (use dropdown for journals by subject, including educational research; special education; educational psychology)