Creating a Faculty-Led Program
The University of Florida encourages and supports UF faculty to lead a study abroad program for UF students. Faculty have various options to set up the logistics of a program, such as housing, classroom facilities, local transportation, cultural activities, etc. Some faculty choose to make all the arrangements themselves while others use travel agencies or other service providers. UFIC also works with some of their study abroad affiliates to create partnership programs.
Below is a list of approved Custom Program Providers:
- CEPA Europe: Customized Educational Programs Abroad
- Organization for Tropical Studies
Please note that this list is by no means comprehensive or inclusiveÂ and is only a suggestion for faculty. However, if you would like to work with a different provider, please check with us first.
for Faculty-Led Programs
for Faculty-Led Programs
- Provide assistance with original program proposal
- Â Communicate with college and department regarding program approval
- Obtain off-book approval from DOCE
- Meet, discuss and prepare program budget
- Create general publicity (flyers; online brochures)
- Manage study abroad fairs
- Assist with additional types of publicity such as info sessions, announcements on website, classroom presentations, etc.
- Advice interested students on program
- Manage and approve online applications
- Prepare financial aid budgets
- Facilitate mandatory pre-departure session for students
- Facilitate mandatory faculty orientation
- Enroll students in insurance
- Provide visa assistance (if applicable)
- Facilitate course registration
- Generate and send certification report
- General liaison to departments, OUR, SFA, UFS, Counseling Service, Judicial.
- Provide risk management and manage overseas crises.
- Process transcripts (if transfer-credit program)
- Facilitate Evaluation process
- Manage re-entry session and all alumni programming opportunities.
- Submit program proposal to both the College and UFIC
- Coordinate approval process with UFIC
- Provide UFIC accountant with budget information
- Approve breakeven and program fee
- Meet with UFIC study abroad advisor to discuss program
- Provide information to UFICâ€™s publicity staff so that flyer can be created
- Actively recruit students.Â Work with UFIC to participate in Study Abroad Fair
- Become a reviewer in StudioAbroad
- Provide program-specific pre-departure orientation for students
- Provide UFIC with emergency contact information sheet
- Sign contract
- Work with the coordinator in your department to do your travel
- Notify UFIC of student arrival
- Participate in all program related activities
- Carry cell phone 24/7
- Communicate with UFIC in case of emergency
- Keep ALL your receipts
- Submit Grades
- Reconcile your program with UFIC Business Manager