A Temple University Ambler Timeline
1910 - Jane Bowne Haines purchases the 71-acre McAlonan farm in Ambler, which she came across during a horse and buggy ride.
1911 - The Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women is founded by Jane Bowne Haines.
1914 - Louise Carter Bush-Brown takes her first classes at the Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women. Ground is broken for a new building. What is today the Administration Building was then a classroom and living quarters.
1915 - Miss Elizabeth Leighton Lee becomes Director of the School of Horticulture serving in that capacity until 1924.
1924 - Louise Carter Bush Brown becomes director of the Horticulture School . She would guide the school's direction until 1952.
1926 - Work begins on the Formal Gardens , created based on designs by James Bush-Brown and Beatrix Farrand.
1929 - The first dormitory is built with a capacity for 50 students.
1938 - A new potting shed and two new greenhouses are built.
1939 - Louise Carter and James Bush-Brown co-author America's Garden Book. It becomes the number one selling general garden book in the country.
1940s - The nearby Blakiston property is purchased, adding 116 acres to the Horticulture School property.
1951 - The Hilda Justice Memorial Library opens in 1951 to house a collection of 16 th Century herbal volumes donated by Louise Carter Bush-Brown.
1952 - The Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women is admitted into the American Association of Junior Colleges.
1957 - The Horticulture School changes its name to Ambler Junior College.
1958 - Ambler Junior College establishes ties with Temple University.
1960 - Bright Hall opens providing additional classroom space, laboratories, and a library wing.
1961 - Ambler Junior College is officially recognized as the Ambler Campus of Temple University.
1963 - Dr. Eugene Udell becomes the first official dean of the campus. Fire destroys the campus dormitory.
1966 - The stable on campus closes and the last horse it sold.
1987 - Temple approves four-year bachelor's degree programs in Landscape Architecture and Horticulture. The Landscape Architecture and Horticulture programs take home a "Best of Show" award from the Philadelphia Flower Show, an achievement repeated in 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2009.
1989 - The Landscape Architecture program receives accreditation from the American Society of Landscape Architects. It receives its most receive reaccredidation in 2004.
1997 - The Temple University Fort Washington Graduate and Professional Education Center opens in the Fort Washington office park as a result of burgeoning enrollment.
2000 - Temple University Ambler is recognized as the 17 th College of Temple University. The Center for Sustainable Communities at Temple University Ambler is established. The campus is recognized as an arboretum.
2001 - The Center for Sustainable Communities at Temple University Ambler is awarded a $1.5 million federal grant. A new greenhouse, the first building constructed at the Ambler campus in 18 years, is dedicated.
2002 - Temple approves bachelor's and master's degrees in Community and Regional Planning. The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission dedicates an historical marker commemorating the Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women. The campus holds a grand opening for the Landscape Arboretum of Temple University Ambler.
2003 - Temple University Ambler holds its first EarthFest event, an outdoor educational celebration of Earth Day for students of all ages. The event in 2009 welcomed 15,000 visitors.
2004 - The campus becomes home to four of Temple 's NCAA Division I sports teams: baseball, softball, and men's and women's soccer.
2005 - Ambler dedicates the Intercollegiate Athletic Field House, part of a $4.5 million campus project.
2006 - In Fall 2006, Temple University Ambler opened the Learning Center, an $18 million, 72,000-square-foot building that is focal point of state-of-the-art teaching technology for the campus and provides new instructional space for use by many academic departments.
2009 - Further emphasizing the University's "green" focus, the School of Environmental Design is established as part of the College of Liberal Arts, incorporating the Department of Community and Regional Planning, the Department of Landscape Architecture and Horticulture, and the Center for Sustainable Communities.
2010 - William Parshall appointed Executive Director of Temple University Ambler and Temple University Fort Washington. A Master of Landscape Architecture degree is offered for the first time.
Open the original version of this page.