Tidewater Community College

Page Content   Main Links   Local Links   Utility Links   Footer Links

TCC Home Page   Login to myTCC

Domicile for Virginia

rollover the links above to activate the sub menus

Student Information

Domicile for Virginia

The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) provides general, descriptive information about establishing Virginia domicile in order to qualify for in-state tuition. The conditions by which a student may be considered "in-state" for purposes of tuition classification are set forth by Section 23-7.4 of the Code of Virginia. Its attendant guidelines outline the requirements that students must meet to be classified as "in-state" for educational purposes.

An overview of the basic requirements for demonstrating and/or establishing Virginia domicile is offered below. For the most current and detailed information, please visit SCHEV's website.

Basic Requirements
up arrow
Domiciliary Reclassification
up arrow

Domicile Affidavit to become eligible for in-state tuition, a student shall establish by clear and convincing evidence that for a period of at least one year immediately prior to the first day of classes, he or she was domiciled in Virginia and has abandoned any previous domicile, or that the person on whom the student is legally and financially dependent was domiciled in Virginia.

Domiciliary Intent
up arrow

Several factors are used to determine if a person demonstrates intent to remain in Virginia indefinitely. A college or university may ask for information from you or your parents about the following factors: 

Under 24: Dependent and Independent Students
up arrow

A dependent student is a student who receives substantial financial support from his or her parents or legal guardian. If you are under age 24 on the first day of classes, an institution will automatically classify you as a dependent student unless you: 

~A college or university in Virginia looks at the parents' domicile to determine if a dependent student is eligible for in-state tuition or state financial aid programs. 
~If you are older than 24 and do not meet any of these six conditions, the only way you can be classified as an independent student is if you convince the institution that you are financially self-sufficient. 
~If you are not classified as a dependent student, you may establish your own Virginia domicile. 

Married Students
up arrow

A married person may establish domicile like any other student. A person's domicile is not automatically altered by marriage. However, if a student receives substantial financial support from his or her spouse, the student may claim domicile through the spouse. In such cases, the college or university will look at the spouse's domicile to determine if the student is eligible for in-state. 

Veterans, Military Members, Spouses and Dependents
up arrow

Veterans, military members, military spouses, and military dependents should review the State Council's website

for the most current information regarding the establishment of Virginia domicile and the

provisions for in-state tuition rates.

up arrow
Common Questions about Establishing Domicile
up arrow
  1. What is "substantial financial support"?
    Substantial financial support means financial support in an amount as much or more than what is required to qualify the individual to be listed as a dependent on tax returns (50% or more of the student's support). 
  2. Can I establish domicile while I am a student? 
    However, mere physical presence or residence primarily for educational purposes does not make a student a Virginia domiciliary. If you leave Virginia for vacations and summer work, you will have an even more difficult time proving that you intend to stay in Virginia. 
  3. If I am financially dependent on my spouse, can I establish my own domicile?
    Yes. Married persons may establish domicile in the same manner as unmarried persons, by showing intent to stay in Virginia and maintaining domicile for 12 months. A married person does not automatically have the same domicile as his or her spouse even if the person is financially dependent on the spouse. A person who is married and is financially dependent on his or her spouse has the option of claiming the spouse's domicile if the student chooses to do so. 
  4. What if I disagree with a college or university's determination of my domicile?
    Public institutions of higher education have established an appeals process for students who question a decision on eligibility for in-state tuition. A student who wishes to appeal an institution's final decision may have the case reviewed in circuit court. Decisions concerning student eligibility for the Tuition Assistance Grant Program may be appealed to the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia. 
Other ways to qualify for in-state tuition
up arrow

If you are a student at a public institution and you do not establish domicile in Virginia, you might still qualify for in-state tuition if you are:  

    Please contact the college or university you plan to attend to obtain more information about these ways to qualify for in-state tuition. 

    101 North Fourteenth Street
    Richmond, Virginia 23219 Phone: (801) 225-2I37
    Fax: (801) 225-2604 TDD: (801) 371-48017
Domicile Brochure
up arrow

Download Establishing Virginia Domicile

Note: Acrobat Reader is free software which you MUST have to open and read pdf files. If you do not have Acrobat Reader on your PC, you may download it quickly by following the instructions at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html


Main Links

Local Links

Utility Links

© 2015 Tidewater Community College - Privacy Policy - Website Content Disclaimer

Comments: Web Services @ TCC
Last revision: August 07, 2015
Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.