Health Professions: Health Information Management
HIM Open House
Tuesday, November 18th
7:00 p.m. in the RHPC, Room MN 312
Three careers in one: computer science, business, and medical science
If you enjoy the health care field and working with computers but prefer not to work in direct patient care, then Health Information Management is the career for you!
Visit www.hicareers.com for more information
Accredited by CAHIIM. Evening classes are available!
THE HIM PROGram features icd-10 coding
Health Information Management includes:
Enjoy a fulfilling career working in a variety of healthcare settings such as:
The Tidewater Community College Health Information Management Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
CAHIIM is an independent accrediting organization
whose Mission is to serve the public interest by
establishing and enforcing quality Accreditation Standards for
Health Informatics (HI) and Health Information Management (HIM) educational programs.
The TCC HIM Program has a 100% Employer Satisfaction Rate.
Amy Shay, CHPS,RHIT
Program Director - Health Information Management
Tidewater Community College
1700 College Crescent
Virginia Beach, VA 23453
Successful coders are
Successful Health Information Management job candidates must possess
The need for skilled personnel in this field has grown significantly with the expanding need for the management of health information. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that employment is expected to grow faster than average with good prospects for technicians with a strong coding background. additionally, employment is expected to increase by 18% by 2016. The mean annual wage for HIM professionals is between $32,350.
Purpose: The Health Information Management program prepares students to become Registered Health Information Technicians upon completing the program and passing the national accreditation examination.
The RHIT exam cost is the responsibility of the student.
Degree: Graduates earn an Associate of Applied Science Degree. They are eligible to take the national examination given by the American Health Information Management Association to become a Registered Health Information Technician.
Curriculum: Students must complete 67 credit hours and are strongly encouraged to take as many of the general education courses listed in the curriculum prior to taking HIM courses. Prerequisites for program admission include: high school graduation or GED, BIO 141, ENG 111, and successful completion of MTE 5 or higher.
Courses: The Health Information Management program provides classroom and laboratory instruction. The classroom includes state-of-the-art instructional technology to include a sympodium, Internet access, and videoconferencing capabilities. Courses include a combination of traditional and web-based instruction for student convenience. The program offers practical experience in record management, computer proficiency, systems analysis, data processing and management, quality assurance, medical terminology, budgeting, and personnel management. Other areas covered include coding diagnoses and procedures, legislation and accreditation requirements, and human anatomy and physiology. Students earn practical experience during 240 hours of required internships in a variety of settings. These internships occur Monday - Friday 8:30 - 5:00. They are NOT offered in the evenings or on weekends.
Skills: Skills gained through the program curriculum include, but are not limited to, the following:
Accreditation: The Health Information Management Program is fully accredited by the The Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
Note: Prospective students are hereby notified that a criminal/sex offender background check by certifiedbackground.com is required. The cost of the background check is the responsibility of the student. A health history and physical to include immunization records must be completed in the first semester of the program.
The need for skilled personnel in the field has grown significantly with the expanding needs for information. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that employment is expected to grow faster than average for HIM Professionals.
The following steps must be completed as soon as possible.
1. Obtain a new Student Information Packet available at the Virginia Beach Admissions Center
(757-822-7172), the Counseling office (757-822-7211), or TCC Information Center (757-822-1122).
2. Complete and return an Application for Admission to Tidewater Community College to the TCC Virginia Beach Campus Admissions Center in the Princess Anne Building, Room A-111.
3. Attend the Health Information Management Open House held on the third Thursday of each month from 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. in the Regional Health Professions Center, Room MN 312, 3rd Floor.
5. Take the TCC English and math placement tests if required. It is recommended you take them as soon as possible to allow adequate time to take any developmental courses required prior to taking any HIM courses. Consult the Counseling Center for information concerning your need to take these tests and for times given.
6. Complete the application online. Application deadline is May 15th annually for the fall semester. If you are not selected and wish to be considered for the following year, you must submit another application.
NOTE: Students who voluntarily withdraw from the program are not eligible for readmission.
7. Have official college transcripts sent directly to Tidewater Community College, Office of the Registrar, P.O. Box 9000, Norfolk, VA 23509-9000 from the appropriate institution's registrar. Student copies are not acceptable. Missing transcripts are the greatest cause of delay in the application process and are the applicant's responsibility. Any college course work transferred to TCC requires a transcript evaluation.
8. In conjunction with requesting transcripts as noted above, you must also submit an on-line Request for Evaluation of Previous Higher Educational Experiences to the Office of the Registrar. The website address is: www.tcc.edu/secure/forms/evaluationrequest.php
9. Enroll in prerequisite courses as required by the program.
Health Information Management Open House
TCC Information Center: 757-822.1122
Financial Aid Office: 757-822-7292 - website
Veterans Affairs Office: 757-822-7235 - website
Counseling Center: 757-822-7212 - websiteAmy Shay , Program Director, CHPS, RHIT
Open the original version of this page.