Page Content Main Links Local Links Utility Links Footer Links
TCC Home Page Login to myTCC
rollover the links above to activate the sub menus
Health Professions: Critical Care
Paramedics or RNs: Prepare to become a critical care specialist Program fosters the interaction and cooperation of both professions in the care of the critically ill or injured patient both in a hospital setting or during a high risk interfacility transfer.
critical care of patient
Attend Open House
The Career Studies Certificate in Critical Care
Work in critical care environments:
- flight programs
- critical care ground transports
- critical care units within hospitals
Nurses may sit for the
Critical Care Nurses exam (CCRN)
Paramedics may sit for the
Flight Paramedic exam.
Official program information
The program includes advanced concepts that build on the knowledge and skills of the paramedic and/or nursing curricula, as well as topics needed to troubleshoot complex monitoring devices and equipment.
- Anatomy and physiology-based clinical assessment
- Advanced airway management to include mechanical ventilators
- Diagnostic data interpretation
- Bedside hemodynamic monitoring
- 12 lead EKG interpretation
- Hemodialysis care
- Preparation for certification in IntraAortic Balloon Pump Operation
Pre-requisites (Admission Requirements):
- Current certification as a Virginia EMT-CT, EMT-P, or Virginia RN License AND
- Current BLS and ACLS certification AND
- Be proficient in reading, writing, and speaking the English language AND
- Have no physical defects which would render the student unfit the perform all duties required of the EMT or RN.
- EMT 290 Critical Care Internship
All students are required to complete all assignments ON TIME.
Successful completion of this semester requires acceptable completion of all:
- clinical rotations
- Certification of IABP requires completion of the seminar.
Anne F. Mach
Tidewater Community College
1700 College Crescent
Virginia Beach, VA 23453
© 2014 Tidewater Community College
- Website Content Disclaimer
Comments: Web Services @ TCC
Last revision: April 26, 2012