Long Pond Ironworks
c/o Ringwood State Park
1304 Sloatsburg Rd.
Ringwood, NJ 07456-1799
DMS 41° 08’ 27.55” N 74° 18' 33.22" W
Size: 6,911 acres
Fees: No entrance fee.
Link to the Related Fees page
From Route 287 take exit 57. Follow Skyline Drive to Route 511 (Greenwood Lake Turnpike). Turn right and travel approx. five miles. From Route 23 take Union Valley Road (Route 513) approx. six miles and bear right onto Marshall Hill Road, which becomes Greenwood Lake Turnpike (Route 511). Parking is available at the north boat ramp, Beech Road and historic district parking lots.
The old stone walls, furnaces and other remnants of the once industrious ironworking community now sit tranquilly next to the swiftly flowing Wanaque River. The village is undergoing research and restoration and one waterwheel has been reconstructed. Future plans call for additional restoration work.Keep Your Park Clean
Through the Carry-In/Carry-Out Program you can help us keep your parks clean and beautiful by carrying out the trash you carry in. Bags are provided throughout the site. Thank you for your cooperation and remember to recycle.Park Hours
Open daily sunrise to sunset.Park Advisory
Questions regarding trail statuses can be directed to the Ringwood State Park office at (973) 962-2240
As of 11/10/2013:
Ringwood State Park-
OPEN- All trails except those listed below PARTIAL CLOSURE- Hasenclever Trail in the area of Peter’s Mine (EPA cleanup) PARTIAL CLOSURE- Ringwood/Ramapo & Crossover Trails at Ringwood Brook (bridge closed - trails accessible via stream crossing)
Ramapo Mountain State Forest-
ALL TRAILS OPEN
Long Pond Ironworks-
OPEN- All trails except those listed below PARTIAL CLOSURE- Hewitt Butler Trail/Highlands Trail between Rte 511/Greenwood Lake Turnpike and Burnt Meadow Rd. (Tennessee Gas Pipeline construction project) PARTIAL CLOSURE- Highlands Trail at Wanaque River (bridge out - trail accessible via East Shore Rd. fire road/Jennings Hollow Trail) PARTIAL CLOSURE- Sterling Ridge Trail at Wanaque River (bridge out - trail accessible via East Shore Rd. fire road/Jennings Hollow Trail) PARTIAL CLOSURE- Hasenclever Trail at Wanaque River (bridge out - trail accessible from end of Beech Rd.)
CLOSED- Monks Trail (Tennessee Gas Pipeline construction project)
Norvin Green State Forest-
ALL TRAILS OPEN
Farny State Park-
ALL TRAILS OPEN
Approximately a 3/4 mile portion of the Hasenclever Iron Trail is temporarily closed to the public in the area of Peter's Mine. From the Ringwood Manor side it is approximately 1.5 miles in and 4 miles in from Long Pond Ironworks. There is currently no reroute, please plan accordingly. For more information call the park office.
Special Use Permit Application
A Special Use Permit is utilized to accommodate a specific activity or event being conducted over a short duration. There are two types of special use permits: Non-Commercial and Commercial and fees are based on NJ residency and Non-residents. A completed application must be submitted to the park/forest area where the activity or event is being held at least 90 days prior to the event. If the special use or event is extremely large or complex, at least one-year’s prior notice is recommended.Long Pond Ironworks Historic District
Long Pond Ironworks was founded in 1766 by German ironmaster Peter Hasenclever. Hasenclever brought 500 ironworkers and their families from Germany to build an ironworks "plantation," including a furnace, forge, houses, shops and farms. A dam at "Long Pond" (Greenwood Lake) on the upper Wanaque River provided the hydropower to operate a blast for the furnace and a large forge. Two more furnaces were constructed in the 1860s. Operations at the site ceased in 1882 due to the industry-wide conversion to anthracite furnaces using Pennsylvania coal.
The remnants of the ironmaking industrial structures at this site date from the 18th and 19th centuries. Furnaces, casting house ruins, charging areas, ice houses, waterwheels and other structures are a part of the remains. The area is currently undergoing restoration: one waterwheel has been reconstructed and several houses stabilized. The "Old Country Store" has been renovated and now houses the Long Pond Ironworks Museum.
The original Village of Hewitt grew up around the 19th-century iron enterprise. This settlement included a church, a store/post office, schoolhouses, and dwellings and outbuildings for workers and managers. Many of these cultural resources remain intact or as ruins.
Members of the Friends of Long Pond Ironworks offer tours of the furnace area and village on the second Saturday of the month, noon and 2 pm, April through November. The museum is open to the public Saturdays and Sundays between 1 and 4 pm, with an earlier opening on tour dates during the April through November tour season. It is open by arrangement throughout the year. For more information, call (973) 657-1688.Monksville Reservoir
Known for its trophy size muskellunge, walleye, bass and trout, Monksville Reservoir is heavily used by anglers, sporting clubs and the US Sailing Association. Easily accessible from either the north or the south boat ramp, the area is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The property that comprised the Wanaque Wildlife Management Area, formerly managed by the Division of Fish & Wildlife is now under the administration of Long Pond Ironworks and Ringwood State Park. Within the property is access to Green Turtle Pond, which is stocked with trout in the spring. A parking lot and boat ramp are located nearby. The area also is open to hunting, with the exception of Sunday.Hunting
Hunting is permitted in designated areas within the park and is subject to Division of Fish and Wildlife regulations.
Questions regarding our parks and forests can be directed to
Michele Buckley of the State Park Service.
parks and forestry: find a park | forestry | forest fire | natural lands | education | historic sites| historic preservation
department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2004
Department of Environmental Protection
P. O. Box 402
Trenton, NJ 08625-0402
Last Updated: August 7, 2013
Open the original version of this page.