Each year, the NJ State Park Service hires approximately 600 people to fill seasonal jobs from May through September. These jobs include:
- LIFEGUARDS (No experience necessary-we train and obtain USLA Certification)
- GENERAL MAINTENANCE - Clear an area of trash, litter and debris, maintain grounds, buildings and/or piers and operate mowing equipment. Operation of power tools and equipment as permitted by the New Jersey Child Labor regulations NJAC 12:58.
- SEASONAL VISITOR SERVICE - Provide accurate information to visitors at various facilities throughout an area, report emergencies and direct traffic. Perform visual inspections of area facilities and grounds.
- SEASONAL NATURAL OR HISTORIC EDUCATOR - Conduct nature and/or historic tours. Assist in the preparation of public information materials, displays and programs. May demonstrate, perform and interpret craftwork under supervision.
- OFFICE WORKER - Greet visitors, provide public information, collect fees, issue permits and passes, operate office equipment, type, file and perform billing and payroll functions as needed.
No experience is necessary. Salaries range from $8.25 - $10.50 per hour. The minimum age for most positions is 16 years old.
For further information on employment with the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, visit http://www.nj.gov/dep/jobs/.
Spend the summer enjoying the warmth of the sun and the wonderful landscapes of New Jersey's state parks, forests and recreation areas, while you enhance your resume in this admirable public service. Learn valuable life skills such as responding to emergency situations and administering first aid, CPR, AEDs and oxygen.
Starting salary is $8.25 per hour. No previous experience is required. Applicants must be 16 years of age or older. Applicants under 18 years of age must have an official State Park Service permission slip signed by a parent or legal guardian to participate in lifeguard testing.
LIFEGUARD EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES ARE ANTICIPATED AT THE FOLLOWING AREAS:Atsion Recreation Area, Wharton State Forest 609-268-0444
Bass River State Forest 609-296-1114
Belleplain State Forest 609-861-2404
Cheesequake State Park 732-566-2161
High Point State Park 973-875-4800
Hopatcong State Park 973-398-7010
Island Beach State Park 732-793-0506
Parvin State Park 856-358-8616
Ringwood State Park 973-962-7031
Round Valley Recreation Area 908-236-6355
Spruce Run Recreation Area 908-638-8572
Stokes State Forest 973-948-3820
Swartswood State Park 973-383-5230
Wawayanda State Park 973-853-4462
Check back for testing dates.
parks and forestry: find a park | forestry | forest fire | natural lands | education | historic sites| historic preservation
department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2004
Department of Environmental Protection
P. O. Box 402
Trenton, NJ 08625-0402
Last Updated: April 23, 2013
Open the original version of this page.