Job ID: 5543
Contract Title: Assistant to HEO
Location: Queensborough Community College
Department: Academic Advisement
Category: Managerial and Professional
Issue Date: June 14 2012
Closing Date: June 29 2012
Job Type: Full Time
Provides academic counseling and planning services to a diverse student population.
- Assists students with clarifying values and goals; counsels students regarding educational options, requirements, policies and procedures.
- Offers academic and personal support to guide students through the course selection process
- Provides students with effective and timely referral to other college and external support services
- Monitors and evaluates students¿ educational progress by conducting academic progress audits
- Establishes and maintains student files, databases and records; prepares activity reports and analyses
- May specialize in providing advice on specific programs or to specific student groups
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Campus Specific Information:
Queensborough Community College, one of six community colleges in the City University of New York, offers over 30 programs in Liberal Arts and Sciences, Business, Engineering Technologies, Arts and Humanities, Health-related Sciences, and Education. As an "open access" institution, the College pursues an aggressive and expansive operation to recruit a range of potential students.
This new position, reporting to the Director of Academic Advisement, will combine active outreach to prospective students and academic advisement for students after they enroll at the campus. The Advisor will assist in developing and implementing strategies for recruiting veterans and to help establish Queensborough as a leader in an ongoing relationship with military agencies, as well as assist in developing relationships with prospective students to insure a more personalized approach in the enrollment process. This position also requires evening and weekend work.
The Academic Advisor of Veterans Affairs will also perform the following activities:
- Advise veterans applying to the college on the admissions and financial aid procedures, benefits choices, and evaluation of transfer credit.
- Work with other support staff to create/maintain more effective and targeted outreach and support services.
- Be responsible for maintaining web-based and printed information pertaining to veterans' services on campus.
- Work with the College's veteran affairs certifying officer to ensure timely processing of benefits.
Bachelor's Degree required.
Strong written and oral communication skills and computer literacy; demonstrated effective experience in a multi-cultural student environment; former military service or veterans counseling experience; and experience with veterans' certification and/or transcript analysis desirable.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
How To Apply:
To apply, please log on to www.cuny.edu. Navigate to Employment, click on application for employment, and then log into the applicant tracking program Job Postings on CUNY First. Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should click on the appropriate link to register. Applications should be submitted through CUNY First. Applicants must attach a cover letter, and resume or curriculum vitae. Applicants should submit a brief (1-2 pages) statement of teaching philosophy. Resume, cover letter, and any supporting documents should be uploaded as a single document. Please follow instructions under How to Apply Online.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
Open the original version of this page.