Many students need help paying for college. All accepted incoming and returning nursing students receive an email about School- and UVA-specific financial aid in March before their arrival on Grounds. The School emails its scholarship applications to new students only after admission offers are made. All students in need of aid are considered for the School of Nursing’s $500,000 in scholarships.
Students may also apply for other School or University awards for nursing or interdisciplinary research projects, presentations, and study abroad programs, among other things.
All undergraduate financial support requires the annual completion of:
All graduate financial support requires the annual completion of:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- University of Virginia Financial Aid Application (available on your To-Do list in SIS after UVA receives the FAFSA figures)
- School of Nursing application for graduate scholarships and Graduate Teaching Assistants (emailed around March 1 to new and returning graduate students)
UVA Office of Student Financial Services
918 Emmet Street
Questions? Contact Gwen Christmas.
Incoming students will be emailed information regarding School of Nursing financial support. For more information, please contact the School of Nursing (434) 924-0068.
The Office of Student Financial Services provides financial aid for undergraduate students:
- Work-study employment
- Other special programs
This year the School awarded 50+ undergraduate need-based nursing scholarships (totaling over $500,000). The School of Nursing emails the School’s scholarship application to new students only after admission offers are made. Returning students are emailed information about the School’s scholarships each March.
Contact Gwen Christmas, Financial Aid Coordinator Office of Admissions & Student Services
Some merit awards (not based on financial need) are available, funded by the Nursing Alumni Association. Note: new first-year and transfer students are not eligible for these merit awards.
Financial aid at the graduate level comes from several sources. Please contact the appropriate office for the following items:
Need-based and merit-based aid can come in the form of full or partial support for your tuition and required fees, or in some cases an additional monthly stipend. The School uses awards from the federal government, the Commonwealth of Virginia and private foundations, as well as endowment and alumni gifts to award these full and partial tuition awards. Last year the School awarded over $1.2 million in tuition/stipend support to graduate nursing students (fellowships and graduate assistant positions). Contact Clay Hysell for more details.
To be eligible for any support, a graduate student must be enrolled in at least 6 credits per semester in a graduate degree program (MSN, DNP or PhD).
Students enrolled in post-master’s certificate programs are eligible to receive support from private scholarships but are not eligible for federal, Commonwealth of Virginia or UVA monies.
Two merit awards (not based on financial need) are available, funded by the Nursing Alumni Association to students in any graduate degree program (MSN, DNP or PhD).
The School hires approximately 30 graduate teaching assistants (GTAs) each year to assist with instruction primarily of the pre-licensure nursing students. Contact Clay Hysell for more details.
- Possess a MSN degree or completed at least 24 credits of graduate level coursework in the subject you are teaching; DNP and PhD students receive priority in selection and assignments.
- Able to work 10-20 hours/week as a GTA.
- GTAs must be enrolled for 12 credits per semester. GTA assignments are made in June of each year for the following academic year. Post-master’s certificate students are ineligible to be graduate teaching assistants or graduate research assistants.
- Full academic scholarship
- Health insurance
There are a limited number of GRA positions. Priority goes to enrolled PhD students whose research interests overlap with the focus of the assistantship. GRA positions usually provide a half-scholarship and stipend. PhD students will be contacted directly by funded faculty members if GRA support is available.
Graduate students who are considering nursing faculty positions should apply for the Nurse Faculty Loan Program (NFLP). UVA administers this federal loan program to UVA graduate nursing students to develop future nursing faculty in the US. NFLP Information
- 85% of the loan principal cancelled for recipients who become full-time faculty after graduation
- 3% interest rate
- MSN, DNP or PhD students enrolled in at least 6 credits/semester can borrow up to the full cost of tuition, fees and books each year
UVA Future Virginia Nurse Faculty Loan Assistance Repayment Program (FNVF)
Full-time students enrolling in the PhD in Nursing or the Doctor in Nursing Practice (DNP) programs are eligible. The application deadline: May 15th. New DNP or PhD students will be sent the FNVF loan application in April.
- Borrow up to $25,000 per year for the coursework phase of the programs for full-time doctoral students.
- Loans cancelled for those who work as a full-time faculty member at any nursing program in Virginia (public or private).
Provides travel awards ($100 - $500) to undergraduate or graduate students making presentations at regional, national or international professional conferences. Calls for support are sent to students every semester (November and March 1st of each year). Priority is given to students who are making poster, panel or podium presentation at health-related conferences. Contact Clay Hysell for more information.
There are several sources of outside scholarship support for undergraduate and graduate nursing students.
Virginia Department of Health Nursing Scholarships due June 30th
- Mary Marshall Nursing Scholarship Program for RN students
- Virginia's Nurse Practitioner or Midwife Scholarship Program
- Virginia Nurse Educator Scholarship Program
UVA and UVA Health System employees
Tuition reimbursement to qualifying employees; contact UVA Human Resources or your HR Department for forms and deadlines.
Open the original version of this page.