- The 35th Annual Arthur Sweeny, Jr. Lecture will be delivered this year by 2009 Nobel Laureate Thomas A. Steitz, the Sterling Professor of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry at Yale University. Prof. Steitz, who will deliver his talk, “From the Structure and Function of the Ribosome to New Antibiotics,” is also an Investigator at the Howard [...] Nobel Laureate Thomas A. Steitz to Deliver the 35th Annual Sweeny Lecture.
- The goal of the Center is to foster interdisciplinary collaboration among students and faculty in the departments of chemistry, math and computer science, and physics and astronomy; and to build a robust science community. A Science Community Grows at Lehman.
- Lehman College junior Allie Bernasconi has been named the CUNY Athletic Conference/Hospital for Special Surgery Scholar-Athlete of the Month, for March, 2015. Bernasconi of the women’s indoor track and field program, made a name for herself nationally while maintaining a strong GPA in Lehman’s Sociology program. “It’s definitely a good experience because I’ve gotten a lot [...] Bernasconi Named CUNYAC/HSS Scholar-Athlete of the Month.
- The Bronx Institute at Lehman College is on a roll with the acquisition of yet another major grant. This one is a six-year $1.9 million grant from the New York State Higher Education Services Corp. for the Institute’s acclaimed GEAR UP program. Bronx Institute Nets New $3.8 Million Grant for GEAR UP Program.
- Professor of music Penny Prince has a busy spring ahead of her. During the Dean’s Award on April 16, the Lehman College community will get a peek at her new production of Cinderella when two songs are performed. Then, on April 22, Prof. Prince will be honored by the Music Educators’ Association of New York (MEANY) for her inspiring teaching style. Lehman Professor Honored for Her Commitment to Collaborative Teaching.
- “Are we ready?” That was the question Francisco Marmolejo, the Lead Tertiary Education Specialist of the World Bank, posed as he delivered the 46th Annual Herbert H. Lehman Memorial Lecture in the Lovinger Theatre. Throughout his thought-provoking and entertaining talk Marmolejo, stressed the many ways that the world has changed in his lifetime, and the [...] Francisco Marmolejo Delivers the 46th Annual Herbert H. Lehman Memorial Lecture.
- Lehman College is offering students an academic “guarantee.” And if students agree to the conditions, they’ll be able to enroll in an innovative degree program that is the first of its kind at any CUNY institution. It’s the college’s new Fast 4 Business program, launched this semester and offering a bachelors degree in business administration [...] Lehman Announces the Fast 4 Business “Guarantee”.
- New York is the city that never sleeps – or pays attention when pedestrians cross busy Midtown streets. At least that’s what a new study published in the Journal of Community Health co-authored by Professor Danna Ethan (Health Sciences) and featured in the New York Daily News recently found. Professor Ethan and her co-authors observed distracted [...] Study Co-Authored by Lehman Professor Featured in the New York Daily News.
- A recent investigation by New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman concluded that many of the herbal supplements sold by retailers Wal-Mart, Target and Walgreens contained fake ingredients. The supplements were subjected to DNA testing and the results showed that only 21 percent of the products had DNA from the plants or herbs advertised on [...] Lehman Professor Says Botanical Supplements Industry Must “Clean Up Its Act”.
- Marina Lebron, the CEO and founder of the Prisoner’s Green Market won first prize and $1,000 in the prestigious Columbia-Harlem Small Business Development Center’s elevator pitch competition on February 23. The victory was a triumph for a member of Lehman’s inaugural Bronx Business Bridge incubator that launched two weeks ago. The incubator is providing entrepreneurs [...] Incubator Client Wins Prestigious Award from Columbia Business School.
- It was a technology event showcasing Israeli startups based in New York City where innovation, ingenuity and tech prowess were all on equal display. The Bronx Technology Showcase on February 19th at Lehman’s Lovinger Theatre also gave Israeli Consul General Ido Aharoni an opportunity to announce a $100,000 pilot scholarship program aimed at supporting Hispanic [...] Israeli Consul General Announces Scholarship Program for Hispanic Students at Bronx Technology Showcase.
- The Bronx Institute at Lehman College launch of the new BOOST program (Bronx Opportunities Out-of School Time) offers 90 Bronx middle school students a rich opportunity to explore potential interests, ranging from zoology to television broadcasting.These BOOST students all attend the Bronx School for Law, Government and Justice. New York City’s Department of Youth and [...] The Bronx Institute Awarded 1.1 Million Dollar Grant for Innovative BOOST After-School Program.