RSS Feeds: Subscribe to Law School News
What if, instead of having to remember to visit the Law School Web site, Law School news came directly to you? The Law School's new RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feed allows you to subscribe to news you want, viewable from a computer or mobile device. Subscribing to the feed in iTunes also allows you to automatically download podcasts.
An RSS news reader is built into Firefox, Safari 2 and Up, and Internet Explorer 7. This browser feature allows you to view news headlines and events in your bookmarks toolbar. When the RSS feed updates, your bookmark automatically updates at increments set by the browser. Want to read a story? Just click the bookmark to go straight to that item—saving you time and mouse clicks.
Subscribe in IE 7:
- Click the Feeds button RSS to discover feeds on the Web page.
- Click a feed (if more than one is available). If only one feed is available, you will go directly to that page.
- Click the Subscribe to this Feed button, and then click Subscribe to this Feed.
- Type a name for the feed and select the folder to create the feed in.
- Click Subscribe.
- To view your subscribed feeds, click the Favorites Center button, and then click Feeds.
Subscribe in Firefox: Click on the RSS icon that appears in the address bar, then click "Subscribe Now." The default setting allows the feed links to show up in your bookmarks.
If your browser does not have a built-in news reader, you may install a browser plug-in or download a news reader application. For example, if you download the free RSS reader Thunderbird to your PC or Mac, you can create and manage live bookmarks and even receive alerts when new content is posted. To see a more complete selection of plug-ins, visit http://allrss.com/rssreaders.html. Google's personalized homepage feature is another popular way to organize news feeds.
To use our feed in your news reader:
1. Copy the link to our RSS feed: http://www.law.virginia.edu/lawweb/news.nsf/stories.xml
2. In your news reader application, open the new subscription window and paste in the link. Your news reader will notify you when there is new content from this feed.
Each program is different and the instructions on setting up subscriptions should be provided by the programs.
To subscribe to our podcasts, copy the link to our RSS feed: http://www.law.virginia.edu/lawweb/news.nsf/stories.xml
iTunes users subscribe by clicking on the following link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=128540742
Once on the iTunes UVA Law School News page, click on the "subscribe" button.
Subscribe to News by Subject
You can also subscribe to news by subject area. Go to the list of Law School news feeds by subject, right-click the XML graphic ( xml ), copy the link, and paste it into your news reader or in iTunes according to the above instructions. Alternately, click on the feed symbol in the address bar to view a list of available topic subscriptions ( RSS for Firefox or IE, Safari RSS for Safari). After you choose a feed, it will appear in your bookmarks.