LAS Student Handbook
- Majors & Minors
- Degree Requirements
- Course Guidelines
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Standing
- Attendance & Withdrawals
- Dates & Deadlines
- Advising & Support
Careers and Extracurricular Development
Student Activities and Forms
LAS Students’ newsletter
The deadline for the next issue is Thursday at noon.
Spring has sprung, as you can see from this photo by @cherrieeetang taken during the flower show at Moms Weekend.
- Undergraduate Research Week
- See events scheduled throughout the week at the link below. The Undergraduate Research Symposium gives undergraduates the opportunity to present the fruits of their research, scholarly, and other creative endeavors—especially those undertaken with mentorship from faculty. The main symposium is on Thursday, April 17, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at the Illini Union.
- Minorities in Academia Panel
- Tuesday, April 15, 5-6 p.m.
- 162 Noyes Laboratory
- Join SWE (Society of Women Engineers) and oSTEM (Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) and interact with a panel of STEM professors. Learn about the climate of academia, the graduate school application process, and graduate school experience, all through a lens of gender and sexual orientation. Refreshments will be served!
- Mallika Modak, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sushi-Making with IUB
- Tuesday, April 15, 6 p.m.
- Illini Union Basement
- Ever wonder how sushi chefs make it look so effortless? Learn now! Tickets ($10) are on sale in the Quad Shop. Limited seating, so hurry for your chance.
- Aditi Warhekar, email@example.com
- Do Whatcha Wanna Do: Exploring Sexuality and Gender
- Tuesday, April 15, 7-9 p.m.
- 405 Illini Union
- Are you interested in learning more about how gender and sexuality overlap within society? Learn about the roles gender and sexuality play within society and within your own life. This workshop presents material which would be beneficial for anyone who is exploring how gender and sexuality affect his/her own life, who wants to learn about how these topics may differ within other individuals’ perspectives, or who wants to discuss how society forms gender and sexuality roles. Participants will leave with a more rounded perspective on different aspects of gender and sexuality.
- Medlife UIUC Exec Board Applications
- Due Tuesday, April 15, 11:59 p.m.
- MEDLIFE UIUC is currently accepting applications for the 2014-2015 executive board. Please find the application at the link below. All questions may be forwarded to the email below for a prompt reply. Thank you!
- MEDLIFE UIUC, MEDLIFE.UIUC@gmail.com
- 21st Annual Health Fair
- Wednesday, April 16, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Room A, B, C, Illini Union
- The McKinley Health Center Special Populations’ Student Health Concerns Committee presents its 21st Annual Health Fair, titled “Ride the Wave to Good Health.” This event is FREE to everyone, so come out and enjoy health displays, free screenings, live entertainment, and raffle drawings.
- AAPH General Body Meeting
- Wednesday, April 16, 6 p.m.
- 165 Noyes Laboratory
- Join AAPH this week to learn more about the importance of networking within all pre-health concentrations. We will also be discussing resume and CV building tips to help you stand out as an applicant in your designated field. This will be a great opportunity for those in the process of applying to professional school or searching for a job!
- AAPH, firstname.lastname@example.org
- How to Get Involved in Research at the University of Illinois
- Wednesday, April 16, 6:30 p.m. during Undergraduate Research Week
- 217 Noyes Laboratory
- Come join Research as Students at Illinois (RSI) for their informational event on how to get involved in undergraduate research on campus! We will walk you through how to narrow down your research focus, find potential professors to work with, and what to expect once you find a lab.
- John, ResearchStudentsIllinois@gmail.com
- Covered Girl: Muslims and Modesty in a Sexualized Society
- Thursday, April 17, 6 p.m.
- 1000 Lincoln Hall
- The sexualization of women is pervasive in today’s culture, especially in the media we consume on a daily basis. However, there are serious societal harms because of this imagery, as it contributes to rape culture and affects the way we value women in general. Since the Muslim women narrative is often missing in this conversation, Muslim women will share how they confront society’s pressure on women to look and act a certain way. Join the Council on American-Islamic Relations for a brief presentation on the issue followed by a discussion open to all!
- Zahra Siddiqui, email@example.com
- Fearless Photo Exhibit at the ARC
- Thursday, April 17, 7-9 p.m.
- ARC Auditorium
- The Fearless Project by Jeff Sheng will be on display at the ARC during April. This photo documentary exhibit is used to celebrate and raise awareness of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender high school and college athletes. Sheng will be on campus to discuss his experience and inspiration with this subject. The Fearless Exhibit was paid for by the student cultural programming fee, Campus Recreation, Hillel, LGBT Resource Center, and Inclusive Illinois.
- Thai Food Festival 2014
- Friday, April 18, 5:30-8.30 p.m.
- Latzer Hall, University YMCA, 101 S. Wright, Champaign
- Would you like to experience authentic Thai food and dessert? Join the Thai Student Association and taste our homemade cuisine from the four regions of Thailand, featuring Massaman curry, papaya salad, Thai ice tea, and many more. There will also be a variety of cultural activities and workshops. Be sure to not miss out on choosing your own traditional temporary tattoo. Look out for us at the Quad this Wednesday to Friday for $2 coupons to redeem FREE food at the event!
- Jirapa Jadecharoonviwat, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alternative Spring Break 5K
- Register now. Event on Sunday, April 20, 8 a.m.-noon
- University of Illinois Arboretum, 2001 S. Lincoln, Urbana
- Our annual 5K! Walk, power-walk, jog, run, or sprint! The choice is yours. Sign up with a valid student-ID for $10. Non-student price $15. Prizes including gift cards to Chipotle, Common Ground Food Co-Op, and Silvermine Subs will be given to the first 5 finishers! T-shirts will be given to all participants as long as supplies last! In addition, food donations from Strawberry Fields and The Great Harvest Bread Co. will be available post-5K!
- Mechell Frazier, email@example.com
- She’s the First Bowling Tournament
- Register now. Event on Sunday, April 27, 3 p.m.
- Illini Union Rec Room
- Buy your bowling tickets here! Support girls’ education in developing countries! Tickets include bowling games, shoe rentals, prizes, and cupcakes!
- Janice Lin, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Global Studies Information Sessions (Major and Minor)
- Tuesday, April 15, 4 p.m. and Thursday, April 24, 3 p.m.
- Global Studies Conference Room, 703 S. Wright, 3rd Floor
- LAS Global Studies is a major that enables you to prepare for the career that you want. We allow you to build an interdisciplinary program of study that includes language proficiency, study abroad experience and a thematic concentration with a global perspective to help you become the ideal candidate for your post-graduation plans. For more information, attend one of our information sessions. LAS Global Studies: A 21st-Century Major for a 21st-Century Career.
- Melissa Schoeplein, email@example.com
- Internships Search for Internships (updated weekly)
- See opportunities at InCapital, Illinois State Geological Survey, Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, and more!
LAS Chalk is written by and for LAS students. Free expression and a diversity of viewpoints are encouraged in LAS Chalk. Events and opinions published or portrayed in LAS Chalk are not necessarily endorsed by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.