The UF Community
The UF community includes all, students, staff, faculty and external stakeholders. UFIT is committed to sharing and reciprocity through partnerships, two-way communication and a decision making processes that enrich the UF community experience and help improve outcomes.
UFIT is engaged in an on-going effort that focuses on participation and communication with the UF community. Through this process the UF community:
- Participates in the decision process that establishes priorities and allocates resources (See Governance).
- Becomes aware and knowledgeable of services provided by UFIT and is informed about changes and operational issues.
How Do I Participate in Governance for UFIT?
Any member of the community is welcome to bring issues and ideas to the unit and/or topical advisory committees. The links below can be used to send an email to the topical committee chairs for discussion by the committee. Also, suggestions sent to UFIT Suggestions will be forwarded to their appropriate destination.
|Topical Committee||Contact||Committee Scope|
|Education and Outreach||Chair: Andy McCollough||Advice and direction in the use of IT to support teaching, research and engagement. The committee addresses issues such as course management systems, distance learning, IT innovation, intellectual property and copyright, web policy, and video and collaboration.|
|Enterprise Systems||Chair: Zina Evans||Advice and direction for effective data systems that improve access to information. The committee addresses issues such as Web administrative menu, PeopleSoft implementation, Email policy, UFID, directory implementation, and minimum workstation functionality.|
|Information Security and Compliance||Chair: Cammy Abernathy||Advice and direction to ensure the security of IT resources The committee addresses issues such as risk assessment, security standards and compliance, physical and virtual security, guidelines and forensic procedures.|
|Research||Chair: Paul Avery||Advice and direction to ensure competitiveness of researchers and facilitate research. The committee addresses issues such as High Performance Computing (HPC), and high end consulting services.|
|Shared Infrastructure||Chair: Tim Fitzpatrick||Advice and direction in support of a comprehensive infrastructure for voice, video and data. The committee addresses issues such as connectivity, wireless, data center, device management, wall plate, Bridges infrastructure, and high performance computing.|
|Web Services||Chair: Dan Williams||Advice and direction to ensure a high quality UF web presence. The committee addresses issues such effective communication, web standards, best practice, and ADA compliance.|
Consider talking directly to any of the members of the topical committees.
How Do I Stay Informed About UFIT?
There are several mechanisms that you may elect to choose from to stay informed about UF IT:
- Units under UFIT regularly publish newsletters that are used to provide information about UFIT to different interest groups.
- High visibility core projects have a website or Wiki that is used for information sharing purposes by the project team members. Also a comprehensive list of IT projects is available. Note: With the exception of project sites that contain information that is related to security or privacy, all web sites are public.
- UF IT administration provides reports and engagement activities and presentations on UFIT progress at several venues.
- Special interest communities have a listserv or a Wiki. A searchable catalog of Listservs is available.
Partial List of UFIT Listservs
|ACTIVEDIR-L||Active Directory issues at UF|
|CONSULT||UF Computing & Networking Services (CNS) Consulting|
|SHIBBOLETH-ANNOUNCE-L||UF Shibboleth Announcements|
|SHIBBOLETH-L||UF Shibboleth Implementation List|
|UF-EXCHANGE-L||UF Exchange Support Network|
|UF-SOCIALMEDIA-L||UF Social Media Managers|
|VPN||Discussion of Campus-Wide VPN Service|
|VTS-ANNOUNCE-L||CNS Virtual Tape Server Announcements|
|VTS-DISCUSS-L||CNS Virtual Tape Server Discussion|
|WEB-MANAGERS-L||UF Web Managers|
Partial List of UFIT Wikis
|UFIT Wiki||This wiki is designed to be a common place for documentation of techniques and best practices for the University of Florida technical community.|
|Help Desk Wiki||The UF Computing Help Desk provides a central point of contact for faculty, staff, and students to get answers to computing questions.|