News and Events
SSSW #16 in the US News and World Report's Recent Rankings of Social Work Graduate Schools
- HSSSW shares the spot with schools NYU, UCLA and others. The SSSW moved up from #26. Read more.
Shadow Count 2014 is Here! Help New York City's Homeless Be Counted!
- To become a shadow count decoy click here.
Congratulations to Nancy Giunta on receiving the Faculty Achievement Award from the Association of Gerontology Education in Social Work (AGESW).
- The award was presented at the annual meeting of the Gerontological Society in New Orleans on November 23, 2013. The Faculty Achievement Award is awarded to a faculty member who is in the early stages of career development, and will be based on the individual’s contributions and potential in this area. Indicators will include development of a line of research and scholarship in aging, a beginning presence (presentations, committee participation) in local, state, or national organizations focused on aging issues, and teaching age-related content in his/her program. Photo.
Silberman Receives Designation as a Center of Excellence in Geriatric Social Work by the John A. Hartford Foundation and the Gerontological Society of America (GSA)
- The Silberman School of Social Work was chosen in a highly competitive review process as one of only three schools selected nationally to be a Center of Excellence in Geriatric Social Work. The Silberman Center of Excellence in Aging and Diversity (SCEAD), to be led by Dr. Carmen Morano, will focus on enhancing the health and well-being of rapidly growing, diverse and vulnerable urban aging populations. Read more.
Silberman School of Social Work was awarded $123,000 from The New York Community Trust
- The grant was awarded to integrate financial literacy instruction into social work education. "What better way to empower clients than to help them gain knowledge about, and access to, a range of asset building strategies and tools. Thanks to this generous grant, social workers will be able to enhance their own knowledge and understanding of resources" - Dean Mondros.
Silberman is delighted to announce our fall 2013 Professional Development and Continuing Education program!
- We are introducing a range of courses tailored to meet the emerging needs of clients, agencies—and to help practitioners explore new professional avenues, gain increased skills and better shape the field of human services. The courses include a variety of contemporary issues such as childhood trauma, leadership development, eating disorders, electoral activism and much more. Register now.
Third International Conference on Practice Research
- Join SSW and a distinguished group of Plenary speakers from around the globe for Building Bridges Not Pipelines: Promoting Two-Way Traffic Between Practice and Research (June 9-11). The Third International Conference on Practice Research will explore strategies for more innovative, flexible and collaborative integration of academic research and social work practice. To find out more information about the conference or how to submit an abstract. Click Here.
Silberman School of Social Work is now on Linkedin!
- Our official Linkedin group is only open to current students, alumni, faculty, and staff. We moved all of the job postings from our website to our new Linkedin group. Join our group.
For more information on Silberman SSW news and events, click here.
Silberman School of Social Work at Hunter College.
Real People. Real Solutions.