Skip to main content

Main Menu


Academic Support

Funding & Fellowships

Professional Development

Student Wellness

Diversity & Inclusion


Initiatives & Research

Handbook & Policies

Conflict Resolution

Students, faculty, and staff at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are a diverse group whose personalities, experiences, activities, and personal goals vary widely. Graduate College staff are experienced in the types of conflicts and problems that can arise in this environment. Staff members are available to assist students with effective problem solving and to help students identify steps that may be taken to resolve problems without jeopardizing academic progress.

If you need to consult with Graduate College staff, contact the Graduate Student Academic Services Office at or (217) 333-2364 Call: (217) 333-2364 .

These resources may help you when conflicts occur:

The Graduate Student Handbook

The Graduate Student Handbook contains information about policies related to conflict mediation for graduate students. Policies and procedures to follow vary depending upon the type of conflict and are only recommended once informal options have be exhausted or deemed inappropriate. Graduate College staff can help you in making this determination. See the Graduate Handbook for more information.

Office of Student Conflict Resolution

The Office for Student Conflict Resolution offers a wide range of services for students involved in disputes or interpersonal conflicts, or those who are experiencing harassment, charges of violation of the student conduct code, or similar problems. The services include student mediation services, referral services, and student discipline. The office is located at 409 Turner Student Services Building, 610 East John Street, C, 333-3680. Inquiries may be submitted electronically to via the office's Web site at

Dean of Students

The Office of the Dean of Students is located at 300 Turner Student Services Building, 610 East John Street, C, IL, 61820. Units serving graduate students include Asian Pacific American Affairs; La Casa Cultural Latina; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns; and Women's Programs. The counseling, advocacy and referral services handle harassment, discrimination, relationship violence, date rape and sexual assault cases, and can be reached at For more information call (217) 333-0050 Call: (217) 333-0050 or visit the Web at The Emergency Dean (333-0050) offers assistance to students and their families in emergencies 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Student Legal Service

Students who have paid the SORF fee and have not requested a refund may obtain assistance from Student Legal Service attorneys. They handle a range of matters including traffic offenses, landlord-tenant disputes, misdemeanors, and consumer disputes. The attorneys will not handle cases involving one student against another, or a student against the University or the state of Illinois, or felony cases. They cannot go outside Champaign County, but will give the accused person counsel. Student Legal Service is available to help inform students on practical aspects of the law as applied to individual problems. In addition, in-court representation is available in many cases. Priority is given to matters for which a student would be financially unable to retain an attorney.

Students needing an attorney should make an appointment by going to the Student Legal Service office at 324 Illini Union, 1401 West Green Street, U, IL 61801. The office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday throughout the school year, including the summer sessions. For more information visit

Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.