Financial Aid FAQs

General Questions about Eligibility and Applying

1. I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?

Yes. Many families mistakenly think they don't qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving financial aid by failing to apply for it. In addition, there are a few sources of aid such as Unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS loans that are available regardless of income and assets. The FAFSA form is free.

2. Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid at a particular university?

No. You can apply for financial aid any time after January 1. However, you must be admitted before your aid eligibility can be reviewed.

3. Why can't I submit my financial aid application before January 1?

The need analysis process for financial aid uses the family's income and tax information from the most recent tax year (the base year) to judge your eligibility for need-based financial aid during the upcoming academic year (the award year). Since the base year ends December 31, you cannot submit a financial aid application until January 1. If you submit the financial aid application before January 1, it will be rejected.

4. Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes. Federal regulations require that you apply for financial aid every year. If your financial circumstances change, you may get more or less aid. (After your first year you will receive a "Renewal Application" which contains preprinted information from the previous year's FAFSA).  Renewal of your financial aid package also depends on your making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, such as earning a minimum number of credits and achieving a minimum GPA.

5. How do I apply for a Pell Grant and other Federal and State need-based aid programs?

Submit a FAFSA. (The Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

6. Are my parents responsible for my educational loans?

No. (Parents are, however, responsible for the Federal PLUS loans). In general you and you alone are responsible for repaying your educational loans.

You do not need to get your parents to cosign your federal student loans, even if you are under age 18. If your parents (or grandparents) want to help pay off your loan, you can have your billing statements sent to their address. Likewise, if your lender or loan servicer provides an electronic payment service, where the monthly payments are automatically deducted from a bank account, your parents can agree to have the payments deducted from their account. But your parents are under no obligation to repay your loans. If they forget to pay the bill on time or decide to cancel the electronic payment agreement, you will be held responsible for the payments, not them.

7. I got an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office?

Yes. If you are receiving any kind of financial aid from the university, government sources, or private, you must report the scholarship to the financial aid office.

If you are receiving Federal Aid (including loans), we are required to adjust your financial aid package to compensate. Nevertheless, the outside scholarship will have some beneficial effects.

8. Will I receive the same amount of financial aid every year?

Award amounts may vary from year to year, based on changes in a family's financial circumstances and the Georgia College average cost of attendance.

If you have any additional questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office.


Local Links

OverviewTypes of AidHow to ApplyCost of AttendancePayment PlanGeneral InformationFormsLinksFAQsContact Us

Footer Links

Georgia College • 231 W. Hancock St. • Milledgeville, GA 31061 • 1-800-342-0471 ; Admissions: 478-445-2774 •   
Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.