Since 1968, Academic Outreach has provided free programs to Pre-K through 12th grade students as well as teacher workshops and trainings. Programs are facilitated in a variety of locations and ways such as in-school visitations, after-school programs and field trips to Lake Laurel, Bartram Educational Forest, or GC Main Campus. Because we are funded through a generous endowment from the Kaolin Industries of Georgia for Science Education, many of our programs are science or environmental based, but we also range in programming from history and team building to art and music. As a member of the Community Action Team for Service (CATS) students of many majors reach out into the community through Academic Outreach.
Thus far this school year Academic Outreach has:
• Served 1188 students in 8 counties
• 77 GC students worked, volunteered, or received Service Learning Hours with AO
• GC Students facilitated 2941.97 hours to the students of the community
• 130 hours were volunteer
• 279 hours were service learning, Practicum, or STARS
• Director and staff presented 10 adult workshops (Staff training, Adopt-A-Stream, Project WET, Project WILD, Project Learning Tree, teacher and faculty teambuilding workshops, Chemistry Rocks!).
• 55+ student programs in addition to 11 weekly/monthly programs!!
For technical assistance, please contact the SERVE help desk at (478) 445-7378.
AO Web Pages updated by Ruth Eilers, (478) 445-0810.