Merit Grant Process for 2014-15
The Ferris Foundation, acting under the authority of its Board of Directors, respectfully requests the submission of proposals from those who are interested in pursuing projects that demonstrate exceptional merit in advancing the mission of Ferris State University, which states
"Ferris State University prepares students for successful careers, responsible citizenship, and lifelong learning. Through its many partnerships and its career-oriented, broad-based education, Ferris serves our rapidly changing global economy and society."
Funds have been established to support projects that represent the innovative and collaborative spirit of Ferris State University, including (but not limited to) the following types of endeavors:
Matching grant expenses
Research or special projects that involve students
Faculty, and/or other expert participation
Enhancing faculty expertise or funding equipment dedicated to specific programmatic objectives
**It is not the intent of the grant to fund/provide direct compensation for faculty/staff. Student salaries are considered on a case by case basis**
To foster academic collaboration and maximize academic project initiatives, extra consideration (more weight) will be given to projects that have obtained outside funding from partnering business and industry or outside government agencies toward the estimated proposal total.
Grant awards will not exceed $7,500.00 and are not renewable, however, previously funded projects may be considered by The Foundation. For projects involving animal and/or human subjects, such protocols must be approved by the appropriate University committee (Human Subjects Review Committee and/or Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee) prior to grant approval.
Grant Award Timetable
Proposal Submission Date Deadline: February 28, 2014
Initial Review of Proposals Complete: March 28, 2014
2014-15 Grant Awards Announced: April 7, 2014
Merit Grant Progress Report Due: December 5, 2014
Final Report Due: April 30, 2015
Proposals received after 5:00 p.m. on February 28, 2014 or not adhering to the guidelines and format below will not be accepted or considered.
Check the FAQ page first to see if your question can be answered. It is very important that you read and follow the instructions outlined below to successfully complete the application.
Proposals, and any questions relating thereto, should be directed to: Kim Erickson, Ferris Foundation, 420 Oak Street, PRK-101, Big Rapids, MI 49307, (231) 591-2365.
The Request for Proposal form can be found online at ferris.edu/htmls/foundation. The form must be filed electronically.
It is very important to follow the instructions - please see the FAQ page if you have questions. It is essential that you be at your own computer when filling out this form, as it uses your email client to send the form to the Foundation Office.
Proposal Guidelines and Content
Proposals must be submitted in electronic format and provide the following information to the extent that it is available:
Grant Application Cover Sheet: Please use the electronic form; it must be complete and include the proper signatures. This form is the only sheet that is required to be submitted in hard copy format (not electronically).
Narrative: When completing the narrative portion, please be brief and concise.
- A statement of how the project demonstrates exceptional merit in advancing the mission of Ferris State University (maximum 1 page). Include how the project compliments and enhances other efforts on campus and how the project will continue in the future.
- A brief description of the project being proposed and the desired outcomes (maximum 1 page).
- Timeline for project implementation and the names and qualifications of all individuals who are substantially responsible for pursuing the proposal's objectives.
Budget: A complete project budget which details how grant funds will be used. The budget should also describe the extent to which any additional resources beyond The Foundation's grant are needed and have been committed to the project. If requesting equipment, assess distribution/disposal upon completion of project. Food and beverage expenses will not be funded and therefore shall be excluded from the amount requested from the Foundation. For ongoing projects, please include a discussion of financial sustainability of the project or initiative.
Dissemination:Clearly define a specific two-part dissemination plan. Part one should be your plans to communicate to the campus, community, and other interested parties. Part two should identify your plans to communicate to the Ferris Foundation.
Evaluation: Projects funded will submit a project progress report, which shall be 2 pages or less, to the Ferris Foundation by December 20, 2014 with the final report due April 30, 2015. Recipients will receive report guidelines after awards are announced.
Protocols: For projects requiring protocol approval from either the Human Subjects Review Committee or Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, please include a copy of the approval with your proposal.
Formatting:All proposals shall be submitted using the attached outline and the responses shall be contained to the space indicated on the page. Please use standard fonts, such as Times New Roman or Arial, keeping the font size to either 10 point or 11 point. All text shall be single spaced, and paragraphs shall be indented. The final proposal should be no longer than 7 pages in length. Proposals not adhering to these formatting guidelines will not be considered for evaluation.
**PLEASE NOTE: Because this is a PDF form, you cannot save information to it. We recommend that you cut and paste from a Word document into the PDF form. This will save you some frustration later if you have to walk away from the form and you lose your progress.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions
Attention: Please follow the directions for submitting the form exactly as presented in the "Proposal Guidelines and Content" section above. Follow these exact steps to submit your proposal:
- It is critical that you be at your own office computer that has your Lotus Notes email client installed. When you have finished filling out the form, you will be submitting it by email.
- Open the form using the link at the bottom of the page.
- Fill in the form completely.
- Do not attempt to save the pdf form and send it to the Foundation Office. Your proposal will arrive blank! Instead, at the bottom of the form, you will find 2 buttons.
- Use the "Print" button to print a copy of the form for your records. You may also want to print another copy for your Dean or supervisor.
- Use the "Submit by Email" button to create an xml file attachment in your email program.
- After clicking on the "Submit by Email" button, your email program will create a message addressed to Kim Erickson in the Foundation Office. The email will have an xml attachment.
- Click "Send" on your email.
- The xml attachment contains your grant request information and the Foundation Office must receive it to process your proposal.
We strongly recommend that you first create your proposal in Word, and then copy and paste it into the form. Once you begin filling out the form, you must complete it. You cannot save it and come back to it later.
- After submitting your proposal, you must take a copy to your Dean's office for approval and signature to be forwarded to the Foundation Office.
Please contact Kim Erickson at the Foundation Office (231-591-2365) if you have any questions regarding the process.
The grant application requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Fillable/Printable Cover Sheet
IMPORTANT: Do not use Google Chrome to submit this application due to a known issue with cutting and pasting. If you are using a Mac to complete your application, visit the FAQ page for special instructions for submitting your application.
2014-15 Merit Grant Application
Note: This is a fillable PDF form. Do not attempt to copy it to your hard drive. It is designed to be filled in and sent via email. If you save it to your hard drive and attempt to send it to the Foundation Office as a PDF file, it will arrive blank. Please review the instructions above prior to filling out the form.
Recipient Reporting Requirements