Updated April 22, 2013
College of Education & Human Services (COEHS)
- The College of Education and Human Services (COEHS) actively supports the Ferris State University Wellness Program. Two COEHS employees, Kelly Hicks and Andresa Maciejewski, participated in the Poker Walk, which the Wellness Program sponsored, and won first and second place, respectively.
School of Criminal Justice (CJ)
- Kalea Frisbe-Horton, a criminal justice student at the Lansing campus, was selected as the Outstanding Adult Learner by the Capital Area Higher Education Network. Kalea has maintained a 4.0 GPA throughout her work at Lansing Community College and Ferris State University. She graduates in December, plans to attend a police academy, and wants to be a police officer in Michigan.
School of Digital Media (DM)
- On Saturday, April 20 2013, the Digital Animation and Game Design program in the School of Digital Media hosted 20 high school and community college students from around Michigan for the Skills USA 3D competition on the GRCC/Ferris campus in Grand Rapids. The winners of this competition will go on to the national competition in Kansas City in June 2013.
- Television and Digital Media Production Faculty and School of Digital Media Coordinator, Glen Okonoski, attended the National Association of Broadcasters Conference. The annual event, hosted in Las Vegas, included vendors from around the world and around 100,000 attendees. While there, Okonoski participated in a panel discussion entitled: "Feminine Mystique: Integrating and Encouraging Female Production Students in Live Student Sports Broadcasts."
- Colby Wittman, a Television and Digital Media Production major, was selected to receive the Heart and Soul Award from the Michigan Campus Compact because of her hard work getting recycling efforts in the program underway. The program now has recycling bins in each classroom that students empty. The Heart and Soul Award is "given to students to recognize their time, effort and personal commitment to their communities through service." She was one of 21 Ferris Students honored at the Academic Service Learning dinner on April 15, 2013.
School of Education (SOE)
- Mike Hastings, an elementary education student who will be student teaching in the fall of 2013, recently received the Outstanding Adult Learner Award sponsored by the Grand Rapid Area Higher Education Network (GRAHEN). More information about GRAHEN may be found at http://www.grahen.org/
- Ten ROTC cadets helped package military care packages filled with venison jerky processed and donated by Colin Kelly of CK's Place in Rogers Heights.