Illinois identity graphic

Related Blog Posts


Hey all, My production crew and I got invited... by James Author Image

Camel on the South Quad

Today was a special day on campus. Vice... by Daniel Author Image

Green Is the New Orange

Happy Earth Day, Illini and friends! In honor of... by Sassy Author Image


With 22 University Residence Halls and 15 Private Certified Housing facilities, Illinois has a variety of housing options to choose from.

students in residence hall

University Housing

University Housing dining facility

Ikenberry Dining Hall: Located in the Student Dining and Residential Programs (SDRP) building, the Ikenberry Dining Hall offers a variety of options.

All University Housing residence halls feature on-campus locations, convenient services in the hall, and professional staff. Living on campus also means that you will be able to use your meal plan in any University Housing dining hall.

  • Co-ed and single-gender facilities
  • Within walking distance to classes and libraries
  • Roommate matching by personal interests and living habits
  • Resident advisors on every floor
  • 24-hour fully equipped computer centers
  • 6 campus dining halls with vegetarian, kosher, and special dietary needs options
  • 12 specialty restaurants and à la carte locations
  • 3 meal plans, with flexibility to dine in any University Housing residence hall
  • 7 residence hall libraries
  • Exercise rooms
  • Classrooms
  • Free cable TV and high-speed Internet
  • Secure access, limited only to building residents
  • Professional staff available 24-hours a day, seven days a week

Living-Learning Communities

Unique to Illinois, our campus has 9 Living-Learning Communities (LLCs), which allow new students to focus on their special interests.

LLC perks include:

  • living with students who have similar interests
  • access to a small campus community
  • taking specialized classes in your residence hall
  • on-site advising, tutoring, and activities with faculty

Private Certified Housing

Private Certified Housing room interior

Study Break: Friends gather in their room to take a break from the books and play some video games.

Certified by the University for all students, Private Certified Housing offers experiences different from that of the traditional dorm room.

  • Co-ed, women’s, and men’s facilities
  • Within walking distance to classrooms and libraries
  • Semi-private bathrooms
  • Large rooms: doubles or singles
  • Roommate matching by personal interests and living habits
  • In-house resident advisors
  • Air-conditioning
  • Computer labs, fitness facilities, and swimming pools
  • Free cable TV, high-speed Internet, and phone hook-up
  • Security intercoms
  • Off-street parking with secured access

Amenities differ with each facility. See Private Certified Housing for specifics. 

Fraternity and Sorority Housing

Greek house exterior

House Life: Beautiful greek houses decorate all corners of the Illinois campus.

lllinois has the largest Greek community, per capita, in the nation with about 22% of undergraduate participation. Over 30% of the more than 100 fraternities and sororities are culturally based, and 43 fraternities and 20 sororities have houses designated as Private Certified Housing.

Each facility is privately owned and operated. Rates vary but are comparable to other living options offered near campus.

Generally, membership to a fraternity or sorority must first be granted before living in the respective houses is permitted. Recruitment varies with each organization.

For more information, see Fraternity and Sorority Affairs.

Transfer Housing

All new, first-time students under the age of 21 are required to live in housing owned or certified by the University. This requirement may apply to transfer students.

If you're required to live in University-owned housing, you may select from the 4 options below:

If you're classified as a transfer student but are 21 or older or have lived in a residence hall at a previous institution, complete the Exemption Waiver Application. Contact Housing at 217.333.7111 or for more information about this process or if you have questions about your status.

If you're looking to rent an apartment, our Tenant Union can help you search for suitable housing, provide landlord complaint records, and review your lease with you.

Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.