Musical Theatre Track
Musical Theatre Track…
If you are planning to study Musical Theatre you should consider The University of Alabama. In the fall of 2004, the Department of Theatre and Dance initiated a Musical Theatre Track. Admission is by audition – applicants prepare two songs and a monologue, and take part in a dance audition.
Admission to the Musical Theatre track is by audition only. Students who are accepted into the program take a core curriculum of theatre courses, together with continuous study in…
- dance technique (including ballet, modern, jazz and tap)
- voice and repertoire coaching
- musicianship for musical theatre performers
- musical theatre scene study
- history of musical theatre styles
- cabaret performance
They also take specially designed courses in musicianship for musical theatre performers, musical theatre scene study, and advanced courses in the history of musical theatre styles, cabaret performance, and the in-depth study of significant shows.
The Department produces three musicals a year — two as part of our regular season in Tuscaloosa, and one at our professional SummerTide Theatre in Gulf Shores, Alabama. These performance opportunities are supplemented by student-produced revues.
We are committed to bringing the best of the theatrical world to our campus. Our faculty includes nationally recognized theatre professionals. Their efforts are supplemented by distinguished visiting artists and teachers.
We are equally committed to connecting our students to the professional theatrical world through internships, mentoring, and our New York Showcase, which presents graduating seniors to agents, casting directors, and other industry professionals. All of this is offered within a traditional liberal arts B.A. program, in the intellectually and culturally stimulating environment of a highly-ranked state university.
Auditions for Fall 2014 admission will be held on Saturday November, 16, 2013 and Saturday, January 25, 2014.
To find out more about this unique opportunity contact: Raphael Crystal, Director of Musical Theatre, (205) 348-8856, email@example.com.
Required Theatre Core Courses include (courses and credit hours)…
- TH 120 Principles of Stage Design (or 220 Stagecraft) – 3
- TH 141 Acting I – 3
- TH 230 Stage Make-up – 2
- TH 290/390 Theatre Practicum (two semesters of each) – 4
- TH 361 Beginning Directing – 3
- TH 451 History of Theatre I – 3
- TH 452 History of Theatre II – 3
- TH 470 Theatre Management – 3
Required Musical Theatre Courses include…
- TH 165 Musicianship for Musical Theatre Performers I – 3
- TH 166 Musicianship for Musical Theatre Performers II – 3
- TH 465 Musical Theatre Performance I – 3
- TH 466 Musical Theatre Performance II – 3
Additional Theatre Courses (optional, but highly suggested) include…
- TH 142 Acting II – 3
- TH 140 Stage Movement – 3
- TH 241 Voice and Speech – 3
- TH 444 or 445 Period Acting Styles – 3
- TH 467 Musical Theatre Repertoire Coaching (two semesters) – 2
Required Ancillary Music and Dance Courses include…
- MUA 174 Voice (four semesters) – 4
- MUA 199 Sophomore Qualifying Exam – 0
- MUA 374 Voice (two semesters) – 2
- Dance (seven semesters of 2-credit dance technique courses. Students will be placed in classes reflecting their proficiency, but will be expected to reach at least intermediate levels in both ballet and jazz) – 14
Additional Music and Dance Courses (optional, but highly recommended for qualified students, schedules permitting): Music Ensembles (admission by permission; one credit per semester, include MUA 160/360 Opera Workshop, MUA 161/361 Opera Production, MUA 162/362 University Chorus, MUA 163/363 University Singers); Additional Intermediate or Advanced Level Dance Technique Courses (DN 200 Independent Study in Dance – e.g. choreography projects, DN 400 Special Topics in Dance – specialized repertoire).